Search

Dalmation Coast or Nice, France?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dalmation Coast or Nice, France?

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am going to a wedding in Germany in August this year. So that I don't bother the heck out of the bride and groom-to-be the whole week before their wedding, I'm planning to see something in Europe I haven't seen yet, before making my way up to Hamburg for the wedding at the end of my trip. I have already seen most of Germany so I was thinking broader. I was initially thinking Norway but it seems to be extremely pricey. I have been to most western European countries already, so I was hoping to do something a little different. I'm currently thinking I wouldn't hate a beautiful beach-y type vacation. I've whittled it down to the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia or Nice, France (however I'm still open to other suggestions... the Portuguese coast was in the list for a while). Thoughts?
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 10:28 AM

the French riviera is a complete zoo in August - mobs everywhere and will cost a lot more than Croatia- two factors to consider.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 12:37 PM

The Dalmatian Coast will probably be a zoo in August as well - I probably wouldn't want to go ether place in August, personally! But Croatia may well cost less than the South of France in August.

You have to pick and choose your locations for nice beaches in Croatia. There are nice beaches but not everywhere - don't make assumptions. Some of them are kind of rocky rather than the long, sandy beaches you might find elsewhere.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 12:49 PM

My dog would like to remind everyone its breed and namesake is spelled DalmatiAn.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Have you been to San Sebastián, Spain? Great food, beautiful beach and a few nearby towns to explore.

I also like the coast of Belgium? I thought Oostende, only 15 or 20 minutes from Bruges, would be nice for a summer holiday. It has tons of restaurants facing the sea and a sandy beach. They seem to have to replenish the beach every year though and I don't know how deep the water is or if the waves are rough. It may also be quite crowded, but likely cooler than further South.

You said you had been to most Western European countries, but just in case, besides Bruges, Ghent is very interesting with a river and lots of riverside restaurants. It is a short train ride from Oostende.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Is a nice sandy beach a priority? Because the beaches on the Med are mostly rocky -- including the beach in Nice. Villefranche-sur-Mer, just east of Nice, has a sandy beach. You need to do your research on this if sand is important.

Sardinia is supposed to have great beaches. And Barcelona has several. Of course, the Algarve is very good and Portugal relatively cheap.

Have you looked into flight availability into your proposed destinations? Convenience of flights would be an important factor to me. Should be lots of flights from Germany because the Germans like to go south for their summer vacation.

Also how do you intend to get around? Nice has many wonderful options by public transportation. Or do you plan to park yourself on a beach?
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow. I am really glad I asked some people in the know! Thank you all for your responses.

1) PalenQ, I appreciate the advice; that would not be good if true.

2) Andrew, This is also good advice. If I decide to go with Croatia I will make sure I research the best beaches.

3) Edward2005, LOL. Sorry. I personally am a freak about spelling and embarrassed that I got that one wrong. Thanks.

4) Sassafrass, Belgium was on the list for a bit but I eventually eliminated it as I was hoping for something a bit warmer but based on what everyone seems to be saying, perhaps I should reconsider. I know Belgium is also much closer to northern Germany than my other proposed destinations so that could certainly be a factor but either way, thank you for the very detailed Belgium descriptions! I will look into this more (as well as the San Sebastian suggestion!)

5) Mimar, yes I've done a bit of flight research..though not too much since I haven't settled on a destination yet. I am fine with public transportation..I certainly don't think I would just plop on the beach the whole time. Also, you may have steered me into at least comparing prices between Portugal, Croatia and France. Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 03:34 PM

If wind up going to say, Dubrovnik, consider staying in the Lapad area for beach access. You can take a quick bus into the old town where you will want to visit for sure, though.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Have you seen the northern parts of Germany, such as Luebeck, Wismar, Stralsund, and the island of Ruegen, with its wonderful beach in Binz and Sellin? You could fly into and out of Hamburg, with trains for the other cities.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 01:03 PM

If you're looking for beautiful beaches, don't discount Sardinia. It's not just for billionaires!

We did an amazing roadtrip two summers ago at the end of August, and it didn't feel overcrowded or overpriced at all. We flew easyjet from Milan to Olbia, picked up a car and drove to Golfo di Orosei, Oliena, Alghero and the Maddalena Islands. In particular, the beaches along the Golfo di Orosei are spectacular. You can read a run down of our whole itinerary here:

http://bonvoyagebaby.com/2014/09/23/...t-of-sardinia/
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 05:32 AM

I've been to both and absolutely loved the Dalmatian coast. Really relaxed, Dubrovnik is unique and stunning, and the whole island hopping vibe there is wonderful. The one downside is the beaches - crystal clear water but mostly stones / pebbles.
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 05:38 AM

East / West beach club in Dubrovnik was a nice "pay as you go" beach - good if you get fed up with the stones and a bit luxurious with drinks service to your sunbed
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 05:42 AM

I would not go to Croatia for "beaches" but it is great for sightseeing..relaxing .island hopping..should be some good non stop reasonable flights to/from Germany..they love the place..Dubrovnik is a cruise port and as often happens they take over the old town...split is a good starting point and head to the islands..lots of beaches..many rocky but the water is so beautiful.