Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Daily inineraries for Venice, Florence, Amalfi Coast, and Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/daily-inineraries-for-venice-florence-amalfi-coast-and-rome-294947/)

mma73 Mar 6th, 2003 08:44 AM

Daily inineraries for Venice, Florence, Amalfi Coast, and Rome

Thanks to everyone's advice, we have all of our hotels booked for our trip to Italy in May. Now, I would like to start making some daily plans (tours, things we must see, etc.). Can anyone offer any advice? We have booked one day trip from Florence to Tuscany on Day 4 (Chianti wine tour). Otherwise, we need help! especially on the transportation (we do not want to rent a car). This is not a honeymoon but we are treating it like one, so we want to make it a fun, romantic trip! Also, we are both 30 years old and active, so walking is no problem.<BR><BR>Day 1: Arrive in Venice at 10am<BR>Day 2: Venice<BR>Day 3: Depart Venice, train to Florence<BR>Days 3-5: Florence<BR>Day 5: Depart Florence, take train to Naples and somehow get to Positano<BR>Days 5-8: Positano<BR>Day 8: Depart Positano and spend one night in Capri<BR>Day 9: Depart Capri and head to Rome<BR>Days 9-13: Rome<BR>Day 13: Morning flight back to NYC.<BR><BR>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

elaine Mar 6th, 2003 08:58 AM

some people will say &quot;go for it&quot; but it sounds like too many stops for me for very short periods of time. I wouldn't have wanted to do it even when I was 30, but that's me, not you.<BR><BR>IMO you are losing the equivalent of at least 2 days in intercity travel; too much imo for a 13 day trip. A fun romantic trip imo shouldn't have so much moving around and packing and unpacking. Have you already booked your flights? If not, I'd say to give up my beloved Venice, save it for a more northerly Italian trip. If you're already locked in on flights, then I'd say, reluctantly, give up Florence or the Naples/Positano/Capri piece. <BR><BR>If you want all of those things, then just have a great time.

ira Mar 6th, 2003 09:20 AM

Hi<BR> A few questions and a few comments:<BR>Are you leaving Venice by a late train?<BR>(my suggestion - arrive Florence in late evening)<BR> I suggest that you make Capri a day trip. Why pack and unpack for one night?<BR> When are you going? The hydrofoil to Naples might not be running.<BR> To get to Positano you can:<BR>Take the train from Florence to Salerno, changing trains either in Rome or Naples, and take the ferry to Positano (faster than the bus)<BR><BR>Take the train to Naples, the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and the bus or ferry to Positano (again the ferry is faster)<BR><BR>Take the train to Naples and take a limo to your Positano hotel: cost 80 -100 E.<BR><BR> Sounds like a great trip.<BR>

RufusTFirefly Mar 6th, 2003 09:57 AM

Venice: You basically have only 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 days depending on what time you leave Venice, so you will have to be very selective in what you visit.<BR><BR>The most famous sights would include those around P. San Marco, including the Piazza itself, Basilica San Marco, the Doges' Palace with Bridge of Sighs, the Campanile; the Rialto Bridge and markets; the Grand Canal; the Accademia and Guggenheim art museums; various palazzos and churches described in guidebooks; any of the lagoon islands of particular interest to you (chiefly Murano, Burano, and Torcello); then there's the Ghetto area with its Holocaust Memorial; the Arsenale with the Naval Museum; the gondola yard; numerous specialty museums.<BR><BR>This is already several days worth, so if I had to pick the key things to see I'd include the Grand Canal with the Rialto area, the Accademia, the Guggenheim, and all the sights around P. San Marco.

suze Mar 6th, 2003 01:12 PM

I would take a different approach than above... since your time in Venice is so very very short, I would not plan anything formal. Just get out and walk around (and around and around). Plan to get lost. Take a vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal. Walk to Rialto bridge and San Marcos square. Personally I wouldn't &quot;waste&quot; my time in lines for entry into the cathedral or museums. The STREETS (so to speak!) of Venice - are what it's all about (IMHO).

eliztrav Mar 7th, 2003 06:09 AM

We had a similarly short stay in Venice recently, although it was not my first trip there. It was my friend's first, though. I agree that Venice itself is the draw. Here's how I would map out my full day there, if I had only one. Up early &amp; head for the Rialto Bridge area &amp; markets. Meander in the direction of the Accademia Bridge, then angle toward Piazza San Marco. Enjoy that first siting as it is awesome. Do enter the basilica of San Marco. If you climb up to the top, you'll have a fabulous view of Venice. To the left of it, meander to the San Zaccaria area &amp; end up at the Grand Canal. Have dinner wherever you've selected. Either at dusk or after dinner, ride the vaporetto all around Venice...cheaper than a gondola unless you have your heart set...). (Of course, weather permitting!) Then, get off at the Piazza San Marco and listen to the dueling bands. Choose a cafe (we like Florian, but Quadri is fine)and have a drink and watch the people. Wander back to your hotel. It is safe.<BR><BR>Of course, if you have specific interests and want to tour the Doge's palace, go to the Guggenheim Museum in the lovely Dorsoduro section (Accademia Bridge stop &amp; a good place for lunch), or even the Accademia Museum itself (can be long lines), etc. then plan around that. If you are interested, check out the local music/concert scene for the dates you'll be there. <BR><BR>My personal favorite &quot;meander&quot; is to walk to Ss Giovanni e Paolo in the San Zanipolo area. In the Campo in front of the HUGE basilica, there's a large &amp; quite renowned statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni by Andrea del Verrocchio. It is on the San Marco side of the Grand Canal, and you can pick up signs leading you there in many places, beginning with the Rialto Bridge area. Magical.

mma73 Mar 7th, 2003 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! Now I have a list of ideas for Venice.<BR><BR>Can anyone offer advice for the 4 days in Rome?

ellenem Mar 7th, 2003 01:53 PM

In planning your time in any of these cities, be sure to take into consideration the day of the week, as well as unusual opening and closing times. It will be difficult to visit churches on Sunday, and some sites may be open in the morning only. Also many sites close for the long lunch. Your itinerary gives no days of the week so some suggestions may not work. That said<BR><BR>Rome: You have only 3 full days, you'll arrive in the afternoon from Naples. <BR><BR>Arrival Day: walk through the center, stop at the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, perhaps go into a church or two like San Ignazio for its amazing ceiling. Get your bearings, slow down from all the travel.<BR><BR>Full Day: Vatican Museums and St Peter's, add Castel San Angelo if you like since it's nearby--good view, nice rooftop cafe. Stroll back across the river to your now familiar center area.<BR><BR>Full Day: Ancient Rome--Colessium, Forum, Palantine Hill--A good choice for Sunday since all are open all day<BR><BR>Full Day: This is your last day in Italy! Meander. Choose one thing to see in the morning, maybe a stroll and lunch in Trastevere. Stop in any church with an open door. Make last minute purchases in the afternoon. Stop for coffee and gelato at every opportunity. Take a walk along the river. Vow to return.

lynzy Mar 7th, 2003 03:30 PM

I was in Rome about a year and a half ago and I absolutely loved it!!! The Spanish Steps are a must! We ate at a wonderful restaurant no too far from there are the food was magnificent! Florence and the surrounding cities was definitely the highlight of Italy for me! Before we left, I was totally looking forward to Venice, however, I must admit, Florence was the best!!

Isobel Mar 17th, 2003 02:41 AM

I dont know if you are interested in Roman sites - I wasnt until I visited Ostia Antica (outside Rome) Its an old Roman Port. Check out Ed and Julie's website on Rome. Its a nice day out of the city. Its on the Ostia Lido line. You take the subway and then transfer to a train (really not far). Its a great site to wander and there is a lovely restaurant and you can sit outside under the umbrellas. Remember and see Rome at night - the ruins take on a new meaning<BR>Enjoy Rome - I was there for 2 weeks last year. <BR>Also Nero's Golden House (near Collosseum) Borghese Gallery is a wonderful house to walk through - well worth a visit.

ira Mar 17th, 2003 03:52 AM

Hi<BR> Don't forget the Trevi Foountain.

jenviolin Mar 17th, 2003 03:58 AM

www.volareweb.com<BR>New Italian budget airline starting service March 30 may give you some great prices on some of your transfers between cities and save a lot of time, too (though I love travelling by train in Italy!).

beckonbecky Mar 17th, 2003 04:57 AM

mma73: I would like to hear more about your finalized trip plans. I think we will be making an almost identical trip in October. We want to take about 13 days to see Venice, Rome, Florence, and Amalfi. Please let us know what you decide to do, where you booked hotels, and when you get back, what you liked and would recommend!

bobthenavigator Mar 17th, 2003 05:37 AM

As usual, I agree with Elaine that 3 destinations are better than 4 in only 13 nites. However, you seem determined so make the best of it. Do not spend one nite on Capri--not worth the hassle.<BR>And, for Rome, all you need is www.twenj.net. Buona fortuna !

matlin Jun 2nd, 2004 05:39 PM

i am planning a similar trip for july, was traveling from florence to positano too much? what's the quickest way of getting there?

ira Jun 3rd, 2004 05:42 AM

Hi matlin,

The train ride is not that long.

See www.trenitalia.com/en

We had a private limo get us in/take us back to Naples. (It was a splurge).

tarakinspa Jun 3rd, 2004 07:01 AM

Hello fellow new yorker! Our itinerary sounds similar, How did you decide which trip to take in tuscany? Are you planning on booking tours in Rome? I am unsure about this myself as we too are treating our trip like a honeymoon even though we are already married a year and active new yorkers too so maybe just venturing alone isnt such a bad idea, if you get any good advice to share please email me! Have fun! I think you may be there now! I cant wait 3 weeks for me!

Tara

nina Jun 3rd, 2004 08:18 AM

I'd drop Florence, and even Capri. Not worth the trouble, and from the sounds of your itinerary, you'll be exhausted.

I loved Venice. Hindsight is 20/20. I'd go Venice, Rome and Positano.

I also agree with Suze, wandering the back alleys of Venice is far more enjoyable than making sure you hit all the &quot;sights&quot;.