Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I only ski 'greens' in Colorado, can I ski in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In doing my research for a trip in March, I have been looking at ski areas. This is not a 'ski trip', but we are looking to stay in the mountains of Germany or Austria for 4 days (out of a 9 day trip), with one or two of those days being for skiing.

The European ski area maps seem to indicate blue for easy, red for intermediate and black for expert runs. My question is, if I'm only comfortable doing 'green' runs and maybe an occasional 'blue' here at home, will I be able to handle the blue or even red runs in Europe? How do the categories correlate?

Any help or opinions are appreciated!
H
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I don't know if I can be much help, but at least it will bring your question back up to the top.

I have no idea about skiing in Colorado.

However, when in France I ski green and blue runs, the green being slightly easier than the blue. In Austria I ski blue because there isn't a choice! They are not generally too bad although I may have to stop and take a few deep breaths and give myself a stern talking to sometimes before I can proceed...!!

I have never seen a red run in France or Austria that I would consider venturing down on skis, although I am most impressed with those who do.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM

PS I am a very cautious skiier. My excuse is that is didn't start until I was 45 (and as a single parent of 4 I have to be very careful. So far it is only the children who have come home in plaster casts - but if they will throw themselves down red and black runs.... what can they expect?)!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:51 AM

There is no international standard for the classification of slope available.

Austria has defined the following rules for slope classifications:

1) blue = up to 25% gradient
2) red = up to 40% gradient
3) black = more than 40% gradient

The classification is subject of change depending on the daily conditions.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM

of course you can. there are beginners and low intermediates in europe, too.

just make sure you do not venture off or up a chair lift you are unsure about.

classes would be a good idea for you to help you improve, know the area better and feel more secure.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM

As others have indicated, there's considerable variation in runs within a single category in Europe, just as there is in the US. In addition, certain areas are known for grading hard (some of the blues at St. Anton would be good stiff reds in other areas) or easy (many of the reds in the Jungfrau area would be considered blues in other areas). But in general, if you can confidently ski greens and the easier blues in Colorado you should be just fine on blues in Europe. You probably want to avoid most reds, though if you don't mind side-slipping or even walking an occasional tough bit you could probably handle many of them. Greens in Europe are true "nursery" slopes for the kids or absolute never-evers, and you're clearly well beyone that. I would also recommend a lesson or two if you're serious about improving your skiing, which will in turn greatly enhance your enjoyment of the slopes.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for everyone's great replies. I will definately look for resorts with more blue runs. From the maps I've viewed, there are lots of resorts with maybe only one or two blue runs. I'll try to avoid those.

I'll think about the lessons. I taught myself to ski many many moons ago. We'll actually be skiing in Breckenridge for a week early this season before we go to Europe in March. Perhaps I'll venture into a lesson there!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I'm an annual Summit County, Colorado skier, skiing mostly greens, but also have skied Autrsia, Germany and Switzerland..

I would suggest that you wait with your ski classes until you get to Europe. The classes will help you to "get to know the mountain". In fact, you may opt for a semi-private lesson (if the rest of your family is willing to join you). This way you can arrange with the instructor to help you to get to know terrain more tailored to your capabilities.

Generally, you will find that the ski runs in Europe are not as "manicured" as they are in, say, Breckenridge, Keystone or Copper.

Because of the many foreign tourists, in major resort areas you will always find an instructor who speaks English.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM

i would take as many lessons as i could afford to maximize your quality of skiing, which in turn maximizes your safety.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM

You should also consider, that the ski-resorts in Austria & Germany are much effected by warm spring weather and the effect at most days in March is heavy and wet snow in the afternoon. You will need more power (or good skiing technique) even for blue runs.

Best you visit one of the glacier ski resorts in Austria, as they will have the best snow quality in March.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been in Switzerland over 20 years and regret every winter that I didn't take ski lessons. They ski so well here and adults who don't ski well do rather stand out like a sore thumb.

I tried to take lessons once. I drove up to Andermatt from Goldau on an early Saturday morning on an empty stomach. I took out my skies and went to the ski office to sign up for lessons. Suddenly, I started feeling faint and headed for the bathroom. I passed out on the floor and awoke to a crowd of women around me. The local ambulance was called, which turned out to be soldiers from the military hospital. I was taken out on a stretcher and brought to the hospital. Five young soldiers brought me sweetened tea, dark military chocolate and military cookies. They were very attentive and caring. I was a 29 year old female and in hospital heaven. After two hours, my blood pressure was up and and I was released.

I never did go and take those ski lessons but I often think of that military hospital.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.S. I was the only patient in that all-male staff hospital that morning.

I still smile when I think of it 13 years later.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of your replies. I hadn't considered lessons in Europe, I guess because we're dealing with limited time. I'll have to think about that.

Tom, I had thought that we might stay somewhere with access to either Germany or Austria like Seefeld or Kitzbuhel.

schuler - loved your story. That one definately made me smile!

Thanks again,
H
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM

Seefeld would be a good choice! If you want an resort with majorty intermediate I would go to Lech!
Then there is always Garmish for the town and the skiing
JOHN
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Like you, I prefer - and am most comfortable - on the green slopes in the US. I really don't have any big desire to move up to steeper slopes - I'm happy where I am.

We have skied in Austria (outside Salzburg) and France (Megeve). While my husband and kids managed to move onto the red slopes within a day of getting their "ski legs" - I stayed on the blues. I was fine most of the time.

Just a couple of bits of advice -

The ski trails in Europe (at least where we skied and from what I have heard from others) are not always as well marked as they tend to be in the US. Often times, we sat at a junction of several trails - trying to figure out which one we wanted. Sometimes we were right - sometimes we weren't (and ended up going down a steep red slope on our behinds!). This is where the lessons might come in handy.

Also, beware of small children! Do not try to get out of their way as they race down the steeper slopes - they know what they're doing! I wrenched my neck in a bad fall - trying to get out of the way of a tiny child...thinking I was doing the best thing. I would have been better letting her navigate around me! She was obviously in more control than I was.

Have fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Grcxx. I had read that the trails were not as manicured, but I didn't realize that they might be poorly marked. Yikes!

I'm looking at trail maps for lots of ski areas. One problem is that many of them have blue runs that are only half the mountain or less. Or some have blues that are at the very top, with no obvious way to get down. Perhaps the gondolas will take you back down.

Grcxx, where did you ski near Salzburg? We're thinking of basing near Berchtesgaden.

Thanks again,
H
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:04 AM

phieaglefan - It's very common in Europe for skiers to ride the gondolas back to town, so don't let that bother you - even very good skiers will do it if the runs back to town aren't interesting or in particularly good shape. Also remember that many areas in the Alps span a much larger vertical drop, so a group of blue runs that only covers half the mountain could very well be 2,000 ft or more of vertical.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:23 AM

It's a pity you don't have time to give Italy a try. You'll find some of the world's best scenery and some of the most enjoyable blue slopes you've ever skied upon at the little known Seiseralm (Alpe di Siusi)area.
Just fabulous for those who are a bit nervous, or who enjoy the atmosphere and hot chocolate just as much as the skiing !
I would give Lech a miss if you're anything less than a decent intermediate. The slopes are far trickier than their gradings, and for a resort with such an exalted reputation I thought that the pistes were extremely poorly groomed and marked. Lech is nice, but you can get better and easier skiing elsewhere.
An area to consider in the Austrian side of the Zugspitze...Ehrwald and Lermoos are beautiful little towns in amongst wonderful scenery, and just over an hour away from Munich. They have their own small and relatively gentle areas, and for 3-4 days this area is just perfect if you get good snow.
Good luck with you choice. I can't wait for winter to come along !
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Ah, just saw your earlier reply about being based in Berchtesgarten.
I would then consider Schladming, which is about an hour south of Salzburg. A huge area of 4 mountains, with all kins of slopes. Maybe mostly red, but there are enough blues and easy reds to keep you busy for several days.
And loads of mountain huts and cafés....important !
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM

MacSporran - couldn't agree more about Lech. We were there last year and it was a huge disappointment. In addition to the points you mentioned, the supposedly quaint and picturesque Austrian village reminded me of a cluster of double-wides along a highway. How a town at the end of a dead-end road can generate so much traffic is a mystery. We just booked for Selva Gardena this year, hoping for better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -