Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Da Fiore Restaurant in Venice--worth the price?

Sep 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

A friend said it's must to eat at Da Fiore restaurant in Venice. Yet, I've read some reviews that say it's not as good as it used to be. Has anyone been there recently? Should we splurge and eat there?

Thanks!
Sep 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Well, one of my good friends lives right next to Da Fiore, in fact, when I've over at their apt., I can see the frosted windows of Da Fiore and hear the tinkling of dishes-both my friend's apt. and Da Fiore are on a small canal in San Polo.

We, my friend and I, are not the types to spend $300.00 for two on dinner-nor are hardly any Venetians-this is pretty much a foodie place for foreigners or famous out of towners-most people I know who have eaten there thought it was quite good, but not as exceptional as they would expect for the price. It seems that's nearly always the case isn't it? I can tell you that I think you can do as well by going to Alle Testiere or maybe Al Covo (although I've heard a number of negative reviews of Al Covo) and certain other osteria, and pay much less, and enjoy your meal as much.

But I guess only you can decide this. It is still the only Michelin starred restaurant in Venice.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Ellenwm,
We've eaten at Da Fiore twice...once for lunch and then once for dinner.
Our first lunch at Da Fiore was very good...in 2004. The following year we were back in Venice and decided to go for dinner. It was just OK....service was terrible. I won't return.
I had the toughest swordfish at Al Covo...so that's a scratch, too!!
I'm saving money by nixing these two restaurants. lol
One of my favorite restaurants in Venice? Al Zucca!
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I second Al Zucca!
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Just remember that there are two places with that name in Venice.
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM

And, I might add, that "La Zucca" (the pumpkin)restaurant is one of my Venetian friends' favorite restaurants, and it is located very close to Da Fiore. Here's the website:

http://www.lazucca.it/

And yes, Eks is right: There is another "La Zucca" located elsewhere in Italy.

But one I would suggest that gets excellent reviews, (also in this area of vaporetto stop San Stae) is TRATTORIA ANTICHE CARAMPANE-this restaurant has a sign on its door "no tourist menus here!" They serve whatever is freshest, and what the kitchen prepares that night for their specials-it has a small outside dining area, and Venetians do frequent this restaurant-highly recommended for their creative takes on the freshest seafood-and completely no smoking.

http://www.antichecarampane.com/
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I actually meant that there are two places named Da Fiore in Venice..Trattoria da Fiore and Osteria Da Fiore. The second is the more famous and expensive one. They also have a lower priced sibling, Il Refolo.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM

My husband, son and I along with my parents at at Osteria Da Fiore on Christmas Eve 2004. We wanted a special meal to go with the season and the mood of the trip. I was not impressed at all with the food or the service. We knew it would be expensive but did not expect to see over 400 euro for the bill. We didn't even order all courses. Even though it was a holiday, they did not have a set menu like most of the restaurants had.
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM

We would not miss La Zucca and Trattoria Antiche Carampane when in Venice--have never been disappointed at either.