Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Da Adolfo--what did you think? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/da-adolfo-what-did-you-think-1064152/)

denisea Jul 20th, 2015 06:08 PM

Da Adolfo--what did you think?

So I am a bit torn about Da Adolfo on the Amalfi coast. Do I understand that once you get there, you're in for the long haul? Some reviews are good, some bad and I am undecided but leaning toward a "no".

For those who have been--pros and cons, please.

ekscrunchy Jul 20th, 2015 07:02 PM

What does long haul mean?

denisea Jul 20th, 2015 08:39 PM

Ah, stuck for a long period of time. I don't want to be not loving it but not able to leave. I am under the impression that you are there for a minimum of a few hours, which is great if you love it.

Blueeyedcod Jul 20th, 2015 09:45 PM

I think it's become one of those bloated 'must-sees' on the English speaking tourist trail on the Amalfi Coast.
It is very rustic, it has portable toilets, the sun beds are worn out, the staff can be brusque bordering on rude, the menu is all in Italian and the wait staff get irritated if they have to explain and translate, if you don't have a reservation and you hop on their boat expecting to get lunch as a walk-in then you will have to sit around forever and wait as the boat doesn't go back to Positano until late afternoon (it's not a shuttle service).
I have been there twice and both times I was underwhelmed because of the above. I wouldn't go again. There are many more places in and around Positano that are wonderful.

denisea Jul 21st, 2015 07:52 AM

Very helpful. Port-a-potties in Positano is not appealing (but might make a great TR title).

Have just been trying to understand the draw. Probably just not my thing.

limmy Jul 21st, 2015 11:34 AM

I prefer Arienzo to Da Adolfo. I returned to Arienzo several times, but never to Da Adolfo. I found it to be as blueeyedcod described.

ekc Jul 21st, 2015 12:03 PM

An alternative to Da Adolfo (which I have a soft spot for but I am guessing you will not enjoy it) is the recently opened Treville Beach Club. A recently restored (as in it opened last week) hotel that was turned into a beach club. It looks lovely and definitely more upscale than Da Adolfo (new chairs, real bathrooms, etc.) but therefore more expensive.

It is definitely on my list for next year.

denisea Jul 21st, 2015 09:01 PM

Ekc...why do you think we wouldn't enjoy Treville Beach Club?

WWK Jul 22nd, 2015 12:19 AM

I totally agree with Blueeyedcod. One of the most underwhelming restaurants of our whole trip, and yes, we would have been stuck there most of the afternoon if we hadn't lucked into sharing a water taxi with another annoyed patron.

There are so many better places in and around Positano. one of our favorites is LO Guaracino, on the seaside path to Fornillo Beach. Wonderful fresh pastas and excellent pizzas along with a fabulous view of the coast.

denisea Jul 22nd, 2015 09:44 PM

OK--I should just trust my instincts but as always, the info here helps put it into perspective (always afraid to miss anything great!).

Denise