Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Czech Republic Speeding Fine: To Pay or Not To Pay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently returned to England from a trip to the Czech Republic.
While driving a hire car through Czech I was caught speeding by an officer and pulled over.
The fine is fairly cheap- 35 euros though I'm wondering my chances if I simply don't pay.
I don't plan on visiting the Czech Republic for some time, however would hate to be stopped at an airport or something for such a petty fine.
Do I have any chance of getting away with it?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:28 AM

All moral issues aside, I'd be inclined to pay it as it's relatively cheap and I'd rather not have to worry about it in the future. If it was 135 E I might feel differently. Can yo go online and just pay it with a credit card? You are totally going to get flamed for this. Godspeed ;-)
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why should you pay anything? You didn't kill anybody and people speed all the time. Those speed laws are for the little people anyway, right? Besides, that's enough money for another XXXL designer t-shirt.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM

yes, besides the CR is a very wealthy country and should be glad you deigned to even enter it
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I you don't pay it you may find the chrage will go to the hire company and they will try and get the money from you.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM

I'm surprised the fine wasn't collected on the spot. I got 4 tickets this spring (although none for speeding) and I had to pay the fine immediately. I was OK with this as it was less of a problem to do so than to find the town hall and try to pay afterwards.

I would pay the fine as these small things tend to mount up over time and you may find yourself with a huge fine later on.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 07:26 AM

The EU rules mean if you don't pay it the UK authorities can collect it on behalf of the Czech Republic. Given that could possibly also mean points on your licence I would pay it.

I am surprised it wasn't on the spot since you were pulled over for it.

If you don't pay the hire car company may have to - and they will then charge your credit card with the fine and their admin fees.

All in all better to cough up and be done with it.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM

If the hire co doesn't take it first, then its probably best to pay it and forget about it

Having been to Cz many times on business and holiday, I can honestly say that everyone without exception drive like lunatics. On motorways, cars are never more than 8 inches from the back of the car in front whilst driving about 100mph.

As a side note, while I write this Mrs Muck is on a speed awareness course having been caught just over the speed limit a few weeks ago lol
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM

My understanding is that the rental agency charges for tickets billed to the VEHICLE, such as parking tickets, not to the driver. Although maybe the rules are different for different companies and different countries. I dunno.

Keeping in mind that I have no experience in these matters, I would say that you can get away with it. My reasons:
-- Does the apparatus really exist for the UK to levy and collect fines due in the CZ? Countries have enough trouble picking up the trash on time, and then we think they can and ar inclined to internationally collect 35-euro fines? If so, the two governments must lead the world in efficiency.
-- A country is going to deny you entry because you owe a 35-euro traffic violation? Jeezus, it's a traffic stop, not a molestation conviction.

But you know what? If you're worried about it, maybe you should just pay.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM

You do the crime you do the time.

And how cheap are you?

And do you plan on trying to rent a car again anytime soon?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM

You are going to pay it regardless of what you decide.

All you have to decide is how much extra it's going to cost you whether you pay the fine now or have the car hire company pay it then charge you the fine plus a rather large sum in admin to your CC.