Czech Republic and Hungary - 17 day trip

Sep 4th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Czech Republic and Hungary - 17 day trip

Hi,
I'm hoping to get some suggestions for my first trip to Czech Republic and Hungary. I'll be travelling ALONE.

Tentative schedule:
16th – Flying in to Prague – will reach Hostel by max 3:30/4 pm
17th – Prague
18th – Prague
19th – Prague
20th– day trip to Kutna Hora
21st – Karlovy Vary (is one day enough?)
22nd – Cesky Krumlov
23rd – Cesky Krumlov
24th, 25th, and 26th – Brno/Telc/Olomouc/Trebic/Trebon (too confused to pick)
27th – Leave for Budapest
28th – Budapest
29th – Budapest
30th – day trip to Eger
31st – day trip to Szentendre
1st Nov – Budapest (maybe a day trip to Pecs)
2nd – Flying out of Budapest 2:30 pm flight

Is the list doable for a 17-day trip?

Interest levels as far as historical sites are concerned - HIGH
Interest levels as far as food/wine/beer is concerned - VERY HIGH
Interest levels as far as shopping is concerned – AVERAGE
Interest levels as far as beaches are concerned - AVERAGE

I plan to walk around a lot and use public transport - metro, train and buses. Definitely want to experience the "must try"/"must visit" dishes/restaurants. Also, want to attend a lot of shows/opera performances/theatre.

I'd appreciate any suggestions with regards to an itinerary, accommodation, travel, food and any other tips that you see fit. Thank you.
Sep 4th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention the trip is scheduled 16th October to 2nd November, 2017.
Sep 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM

https://www.seat61.com/websites/cd-eshop.htm - all about finding cheap tickets on Czech Rail's official site but domestic trains are so so cheap anyway but still - to Budapest substantial discounts available - for lots on trains in general: www.budgeteuropetrave.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Sep 4th, 2017, 02:30 PM

21st – Karlovy Vary (is one day enough?)>

Twas enough for me but if you want to take the cures...rather small old town area and neat.
Sep 5th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

@PalenQ, thank you!
Sep 5th, 2017, 03:25 AM

Hi,
As a local guide I can definitely tell you, that you will need not more than 3-4 hours for Szentendre, at best.
You can leave for Szentendre in the afternoon around 2-3 pm and be back by 8-9.
Also if you are not for some medical spas/treatments or a big fan of Russian tourist's crowds, I would skip Karlovy Vary at all.
Cesky Krumlov can be done in a day easily, so I would rather spend a night in Brno with a trip to Olomouc (2 hours by train, I think). Or you can add another day for Budapest or stop for a half day tour of Bratislava (3-5 hours is adequate time to get a feel of the nice downtown area/castle).
Something like that.
Sep 5th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

@okszi, thanks. That definitely helps. I've kept Bratislava for another time. Might go for another day in Budapest. Would you recommend a day trip to Trebic/Trebon? Keeping in mind that this trip is in the second half of October, I've heard things are a lot slower that time of the year, would you recommend anything else?
Sep 6th, 2017, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Sep 6th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Considering the absolute absence of any access to a sea or ocean in either country, your likelihood of finding a decent beach in Hungary or CR is nil.

You have a lot of day trips but not that much time in either Prague or Budapest.

You may want to define this better: "Interest levels as far as historical sites are concerned - HIGH."

It's been 1121 years since Arpad came across the Carpathians and founded Hungary. The Czechs are a Slavic people with more than a couple of years of history themselves.

Based on your itinerary you have little or no interest in Commie or Holocaust history, which is too bad. Both countries have been heavily affected by the Nazis (especially the Czechs, although Hungary lost the second-most Jews to the Nazis in the Holocaust even though the Holocaust only reached Hungary in 1944 - the local coordinator of the activities was some Eichmann fellow) and by being client states of the Soviet Union, against which each rebelled unsuccessfully.
Sep 7th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

@BigRuss, thank you for that.
Sep 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Would you recommend a day trip to Trebic/Trebon?>

Went to Trebon (Czech) years ago before Iron Curtain came down and even then it was a gem - impressive main square - only reason we went was because was driving my Czech-heritage mom around and her father was born and raised in Trebon - it must really shine now!
Sep 8th, 2017, 01:43 AM

Hi,
Little correction from a Hungarian guide
First deportation of Jews from Hungary started in 1941!
23,600 Jews (most of them were deported from Hungary) have been massacred on August 27-28 in the Ukrainian town of Kamenyec-Podolszkiy. There is even a memorial plaque at the Rumbach Sebestény Synagouge in Budapest, telling about that sad event. The first transport left from near the Synagogue.
The mass deportation of Jews from Hungary started in 1943, from the countryside. That was Budapest, were they started the deportation only in 1944, after the Nazi occupation of Hungary.
Concerning the beach.
Well, we have quite a few around the lake Balaton (largest lake in central Europe). On the southern part of the lake, lots of Ibiza style beaches with fine sand and water (slightly mineral and almost emerald green) heating up to 28-30 C (82.4-86 F) in July, August.
Popularity of the lake among Western (especially Scandinavian, Dutch) tourist is growing by a day. Extremely affordable and absolutely safe. You know what I mean!
Due to this, the season which usually ended straight after the August 20th National holidays, still goes on and quite intensively, especially that the temperatures this week-end will reach 30C (86 F)
Of course in October there will be definitely no beach weather around the lake, but concerning the OP's interests of:
"Interest levels as far as historical sites are concerned - HIGH
Interest levels as far as food/wine/beer is concerned - VERY HIGH"
that is DEFINITELY the BEST time to visit the Balaton area. Excellent wines, very good food.
BONUS:
Very affordable prices and almost NO tourists around but on the week-ends, though still not like in summer.
Also you can visit the largest functioning natural Thermal lake (excellent healing water) in the world HEVIZ
http://www.heviz.hu/en
with water temperatures of up to 27-28 C (80-82F) outside and 30-33C (86-92F)in the covered area of the lake.
I WOULD definitely recommend doing the Lake trip with an overnight in Keszthely/Héviz-Balatonfüred you name it, instead of the Eger or Pecs trip.
I would recommend those (otherwise very nice places) only in case of bad weather. Balaton is at its best in October!
Sep 8th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

@okszi, that's an amazing suggestion. I'm definitely going to give the Balaton area a try. Thank you!

Search this Thread