Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Czech Rep or Iceland in November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/czech-rep-or-iceland-in-november-477368/)

abcd_xyz Sep 29th, 2004 05:14 AM

Czech Rep or Iceland in November?

Hi. Czech republic or Iceland? We have 2 weeks in mid november. Both look good. We live in a tropical country and would hate to be stuck in rain on a holiday. Cold is good. Would like to see snow if possible. Which one would you recommend?

ira Sep 29th, 2004 05:17 AM

Hi ab,

I would do a week in each if I could swing it.

Cicerone Sep 29th, 2004 05:23 AM

Iceland in November will have about 6.5 hours of daylight. I would do Prague, which will have about 8 hours. Go to sunrisesunset.com for info.

Most activities in Iceland revolve around outdoor natural sights, hard to do when the sun comes up at 10 am and sets at 4 pm. Iceland is better in the summer, when it will be light for almost 24 hours.

abcd_xyz Sep 29th, 2004 06:33 AM

Good point Cicerone. Will consider. Thanks.

abcd_xyz Sep 30th, 2004 03:16 AM

Is Prague rainy mid november? Any chances of seeing snow? How many days should we ideally spend in the Czech rep? Thanks

Brianft Sep 30th, 2004 02:44 PM

PRAGUE HANDS DOWN!!!!

mgmargate Sep 30th, 2004 02:52 PM

Joking right?

Amy Sep 30th, 2004 03:16 PM

Well, you are probably more likely to get snow in Prague in November, but I do have to say that Iceland has charms at all times of the year; you can do a fair amount of hiking/outdoor sightseeing in six hours, as your travel time can be in the dark, and then in the evening there are the great restaurants and thermal heated pools and the shopping (and nightlife if you're into that.)

Prague would quite likely best suit what you're looking for, and Iceland in summer is phenomenal, but I just wanted to add another view. :)

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1278237

abcd_xyz Sep 30th, 2004 07:15 PM

Thanks Amy. That was quite encouraging. Ive been rather confused. How about a week in the Czech rep and a week in Iceland? I checked the sunrise sunset times in iceland and its not so bad. We get 7 hours of daylight. Id rather take the opportunity now than postpone until summer.

Mgmargate-"joking right"? Is Prague really such a bad idea? Pls do share your views.

Thanks again everyone

mgmargate Oct 1st, 2004 02:31 AM

Go to Iceland I'm sure it's great,everyone raves about it just like we do about Prague.

Jenner Oct 1st, 2004 03:17 AM

We were in Prague last Christmas and we did get snow the first night, though I was told that it doesn't often snow there. You might have to get out of the city to see it - we only saw Prague so I have no suggestions there.

It was plenty cold. We also live in a tropical country and looked forward to it - nothing better than thawing out over a hot coffee! Loved it!

Jen

abcd_xyz Oct 1st, 2004 07:32 AM

Thanks mgmargate.

Hi Jenner. Did you enjoy Prague? Is one week good enough? Too long too short? Is it a good idea to rent a car? How do we get to Karlovy Vary or Cesky Krumvlov from Prague (if decide to go)? Appreciate your help. Thanks

BlueSwimmer Oct 1st, 2004 08:24 AM

Prague and Budapest! I've been to Iceland in November for a 3 day quick trip. I enjoyed myself, but we had wet snow and very little sunshine. It barely got to light grey at about 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning. Maybe I was just there at a bad time, but for a two week vacation, I would choose Europe. I also love Venice and Paris in November.

HappyTraveling Oct 1st, 2004 01:46 PM

It's me again!

If you're choosing to go to Prague, then you should also try to cover Budapest,Hungary and Vienna,Austria, since these are neighboring each other.

There are good train connections to prague and Budapest from Vienna. We are actually planning this route for Sept 2005.

Good luck with your planning and no matter where you choose, as long as you go with a good holiday attitude, you will have a good time regardless.

Vivian
Oslo, Norway

mgmargate Oct 1st, 2004 01:50 PM

I agree that Budapest,Vienna,Prague is an easy combination that will not disappoint.

tmh Oct 3rd, 2004 10:25 AM

I spent a little over a week in the Czech Republic and felt it needed more time. But I'm the type of traveler who prefers one country at a time.

We went to Cesky Krumlov via car. This allowed us to wander through some smaller towns as we headed to Prague. Once in the city, we parked the car for the duration and used local transportation every where.

We also went in late Nov and there was no snow although it was cold enough. We arrived late enough to expereince their Christmas market which was delightful - sitting on the Old Square around from the clock sipping gluhwein into the evening is a wonderful memory for me.

abcd_xyz Oct 4th, 2004 03:54 AM

Thanks guys. When do the christmas markets begin in Prague? We plan to leave around the 13th of nov and return 28th.

Anybody been to Romania? Any views?

Clifton Oct 4th, 2004 04:35 AM

We'll be getting back from Romania about a week before you go. Not sure if that's enough time to let you plan, but I can drop a line here once back if you'd like. There are a few here who've been but seemingly not great numbers. They may not see the question under your current title.

Also try http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

On their E. Europe branch, try to locate posts by Romanian_Bat. As much expertise on Romania as you'll ever find in one person. Enjoy your trip.

abcd_xyz Oct 5th, 2004 03:55 AM

Hi Clifton. Just posted a separate thread for Romania. Would love to hear from you upon your return. thanks for the lonely planet link. Have a wonderful trip!

LLC Oct 5th, 2004 04:41 AM

We had snow in Czech Republic in late October in Pustevny in the Beskydy mountains. You would definitely need a car to get there though. It is a beautiful area with few English speaking visitors. Some web-sites to check: www.czechcenter.com/Travel-Valassko.htm and www.libusin-mamenko.cz . There is the Hotel Tanecnica and Hotel Mamenka. Be sure to eat at Libusin if you go. No guarantee of snow, but it's really an interesting, little visited area. You can also take a chair lift from near the U Kociana, another possible place to stay, in the valley. Be aware that many of the castles and outdoor museums in Czech Republic will be closed in November. But, many places in Prague lower their rates for November. Czech Republic would be cheaper than Iceland.