Czech-Austria trip, train or car rental

Aug 13th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Czech-Austria trip, train or car rental

My brother and I will be taking our dad to Prague and Vienna in late September. We will pick up the car in Prague, starting with some towns near the Austrian border.

We will need to rent a car at least for part of the countryside visit: The question is whether we keep with the car or switch to a train.

People have advised us to return the car somewhere in Czech because it is expensive to take a rented car into another country. But I have begun searching AutoEurope and I am not finding any additional fees.

Other reasons to drop the car are that it would be difficult driving into Vienna, if someone could please comment on driving into Vienna? My brother is comfortable with driving, and has done so in Rome extensively, if perhaps you could compare.

Is it best to go through AutoEurope or better to go to Budget/Enterprise etc directly?

Thanks for all advice.
Aug 13th, 2015, 09:39 PM

For whatever it is worth I, too, have noted that the fees for dropping a rental car in another country don't always match the hype on this forum. Perhaps the fees depend on the vehicle and the country, though.

Driving into Vienna to drop your rental car is not difficult. I would suggest dropping the car at the Hauptbahnhof rather than the airport; the airport is 20km south of the city proper. Before our car arrived we used AutoEurope for rentals; they always seemed to have the best variety and prices.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

fourfortravel--I probably wasn't clear. We would drop the car in Brno or another southern Czech city and then train to Vienna, then train back to Prague for the rest of our trip.

This would be to avoid driving our car into another country (cost) and also to avoid driving into Vienna, big city (stress).

Search this Thread