Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wedding In Positano Italy Sept 2014- NEED YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our wedding at the Catholic Church (Santa Maria Assunta in Positano) in September 2014 and I am looking for several restaurant recommendations near the church. We are a small group of 30 people and want to make dinner reservations (in a nice restaurant) but not pay to rent a private room or rent out a restaurant.

I am also looking for local (sorrento or amalfi coast) wedding planner recommendations, local florists, local bakeries, local hair and make-up recommendations.

We are also looking at hotel recommendations, right now we are interested in reserving rooms at either: Punta Regina, Hotel Savoia, Villa Rosa OR Albergo California Positano for ourselves and our wedding party. We would also like recommendations if you know of any B&Bs or apartments for rent that are walking distance (within 5 minutes or less of Santa Maria Church)

If you have been married in italy, know someone who has been married on the Amalfi Coast or have been to Positano yourself please pass along your advice!!! I really appreciate all the help I can get!!!!

THANK YOU! Ciao- Danielle
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 06:38 PM

Danielle, we used this company when we did our vow renewal in Venice in 2005. We were extremely pleased with their services - they lined up an English speaking guide, photographer, flowers, wine and gondola.

Our son is recently engaged and I'm in the process of checking with them again to see what the cost would be of an Italian wedding.

Despite the link I sent, they do other locations around Italy.

Good luck!

http://www.destination-venice.com
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've stayed at the Savoia and it's in exactly the right position at the top of walkway down to the sea, near the bus terminus and centrally located. It's a small place, so I suppose that you'll need to spread your party in to a couple of places.

The Savoia would be OK for me and I'm sure that they will have sugegstions for your other "wedding planner recommendations, local florists, local bakeries, local hair and make-up recommendations." Don't be afraid to bargain with these companies.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 04:11 AM
WWK

Congratulations! I'd highly recommend BUCCA DI BACCO, which is about a 5 min. walk from the church on the beach. Great food, great views, also really lovely rooms overlooking the water!! BUCCA DI BACCO has a room upstairs from the restaurant overlooking the water that might be used for private parties. And would still offer fantastic views of the water.

We've stayed at Hotel Poseidon six times, most recently last June. It's midway between top of the town and beach, so not as many steps back and forth. As I remember, Punta Regina is lovely, but further up the hill from town ( toward Fornillo Beach), so it could be quite a hike going to and from town/beach.

You might also look at Palazzo Murat, which is ground level, very close to the church and beach.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, I got married in Puglia last year and you can read about it here http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-go-wrong.cfm I don't know your area however I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you also need a civil ceremony, have you got it organised?

The other thing you need to know is that while Italians are stickelers for paperwork, they are pretty poor at it, so assume that everything you have to sign off on will be wrong, because it will be. By law you have to sign all contracts in Italy in Italian (really) so you may need an official translator who has to be certified, do not assume a certified translator knows either how to communicate or speak the language they claim to. After all a certificate is a certificate (just a bit more paperwork), finally you have to let go of any Northern European or US hang ups, Italians are very good at organising fun.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:49 AM

Here an australian wedding in Positano http://www.italytraveller.com/en/e/t...ot-in-positano
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:20 PM

We stayed at Vila Rosa a few months ago, and loved it. Beautiful views, great staff, delicious private breakfast on your own terrace.

We had lunch at both Bucca di Bacco and Covo dei Saraceni, they were both very good. And they are both within walking distance from the church. Google their menus, check TA for pictures of food and views, see what you like. Palazzo Murat (hotel and restaurant) seemed very nice, too - include it in your options.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM

My favorite hotel with a great view and balcony is Casa Albertina. Lorenzo is the owner. Worth a search.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM

You need to find an experienced wedding planner quickly - since I too believe that only a civil marriage is legal and it requires a lot of paperwork. You can do a religious ceremony on top of it - but by itself that is not a legal marriage.