Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

International calling - Rebtel, Talkster?

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot of questions in the past about making calls internationally but technology changes rapidly and I'd like to find out what your recent experiences have been.
I have a tri-band sony ericsson cell phone I purchased in 2006 that I used in France and Italy; it worked great. I'm planning on buying a multi- country SIMS card for it (probably from cellularabroad), since I'm going to France and Italy again in April. My question is........has anyone had any experience using Rebtel or Talkster for calling between the USA and Europe? Were you able to get free international calling using their process? Was it reliable and relatively convenient?
Any info would be appreciated..........Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Take a look at e-kit passport....available for $20 US on ebay which comes with $10 worth of credit.......
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
rex

Not entirely sure how relevant this is... but see also my post yesterday about Google Voice - - seems that it will be very much a game-changer for such services.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...uch-more.cfm?0

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Hey guys,

I'm Alex and I work at Rebtel, one of the companies mentioned in the discussion above.

Naturally I'm slightly biased, but we take great pride in our quality and reliable rates at Rebtel.

As long as you get a local SIM card and add the number to your Rebtel account online, you can call internationally and only pay for the cost of a local call. The international leg of the call will is free. That calling service is called Smart Call and you can find out more about here http://www.rebtel.com/en/How-it-work...-a-smart-call/

If have any questions I'm more than happy to help you out.

Thanks!

Alex
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Alex is right - Rebtel is really cool. Better yet, Rebtel has made voucher codes available at http://www.xpats.nu/rebtel-voucher-code/ for first time sign ups, so you can get the service and some free money on first deposit.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM

I used Rebtel for several years before I bought my iPhone 4G. It was super easy to use and calls were just pennies. My family had a local (free) number they could call me from and since incoming calls in Europe are free, I only had to pay (pennies) when I initiated a call.

I use Skype now since I can't switch out my sim card but I need Wi-fi. With Rebtel, you don't . . . you just need a local sim card.

I took my iPhone to Morocco recently and was very pleased with myself for using 0 data and not incurring a big bill. I followed the instructions from ATT, put it in airplane mode, turned off data roaming, etc. Wi-fi was practically everywhere, even in the Casa Voyageurs train station in
Casablanca.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks to all for such great, current info! I am looking into all options. Rex - You are right the Google Voice seems like a potential game-changer, and certainly easy to integrate.