Cycling in Europe

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Jodi

Cycling in Europe

Hi everyone: I am going with my boyfriend to Europe for two weeks summer 2001 He's never been. Problem: I love water, he wants to cycle. We will be bringing our bicycles. I am a firm believer in compromise. We are going to hopefully follow the Tour de France for a few days and would love to hear from anyone who has done this. In addition to that we are considering Italy or Spain. Any suggestions? I know Tuscany is fab for cycling, but I was there two years ago. I was thinking going down to the Amalfi coast. Anyone know how that region is for cycling? Or should we do Southern Spain? Thanks for any and all input.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:50 PM
steve

For only two weeks, i would recommend staying in France. The network of very small roads is great for cycling.

I'm not sure how many days of the Tour you could easily follow. I would first look at being near one of the Finish/start towns so you can see at least two days. I would imagine that it would be hard to book a room anywhere near those towns. The tour covers 100-150 miles per day, so unless you are super fit, it will be hard.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:23 AM
caroline

Hello Jodi
this could interest you if you don't know it already .. the Tour organises each day before the professional race, the same race for non professional. If you are interested, I can try to have more info.
Steve is right, maybe you should stay in France. You could bike along the Atlantic Coast (La Rochelle, spain border) : there are special bike roads, in pine forests (hundreds of kilometers), and you go along the sea where you can swim (many lakes too), surf (great surfing spots), sail, ...). If you want more info, let me know...

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 04:45 AM
Richard

Jodi, I would avoid the Amalfi coast, the road is quite narrow and in summer will probably be clogged with traffic. In 1996 we cycled the Lake District of Italy, starting at Stresa on Lake Maggiore and ending at Varenna on Lake Como. This May we cycled the Channel Coast of France, starting at St. Malo and ending at Honfleur. Let us know if you need info re maps, etc. We go solo, no groups, sag wagons, our gear in our panniers. We cycle town to town, no reservations. I'm 62, wife 53.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Donna

Would anyone know if tickets to the Uffizi Gallery can be reserved before departing for Italy. Does entrance to the Vasari Corridor in the Uffizi have to be arranged separately? Thanks for any help!