2018 is bringing a return to Greece for us and our first taste of the islands (our previous 3 trips were spent on the mainland). As usual, we'll have the boys with us (7 and 5). We will have spent 2 weeks in Italy prior to heading to Greece, so jet lag won't be a factor - just the one hour time diff.
We're flying from Rome to Mykonos and parking there for the first 4 days/5 nights. Plan to see Delos, the archaeology museum in Mykonos, and explore the beaches.
After that... we have 8-9 nights before we head back to Athens where the boys and I will meet up with family friends and head to their family place in Evvia while DH heads to Barcelona for work.
My tentative thought is 4-5 nights on Paros or Naxos, and the final 3-4 nights on Santorini (DH wants to see Akrotiri and Ancient Thira).
1. Which island (Paros or Naxos) for a ruins-loving family with kids? The kids genuinely enjoy ruins and jaunts through museums, but they are also kids... playgrounds, pools, beaches, and casual/family-friendly places to eat are important.
2. I'd like to keep our accommodations budget to 200-300E/night and I'd ideally like to have 2 bedrooms wherever we stay. If you've got a rec on whichever island you recommend, please share .
3. Santorini. Is giving me a headache. Despite hours of research, I'm still at a loss. Santorini is high on DH's list due to the archaeological sights. I'm completely at a loss on what part of the island to choose for accommodations. We appreciate beautiful views, but not enough to spend 900E/night for them to get a 2-bedroom accommodation! Yet a pool or beach access is a priority, as is proximity to a casual and family-friendly restaurant... so which part of the island would you recommend? Driving isn't on our radar as a problem, as we've driven all over mainland Greece and throughout Italy. Correct me if we need to re-think driving for any reason - I'd rather know now!
Many thanks, and any and all advice and insight is greatly, greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP PRINTER @ I8OO*68I*72O8 in$tallation CONTACT HP PRINTER Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Tips for first trip to UK
- 3 Malaga Christmas lights
- 4 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 5 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 6 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 7 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 8 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 9 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 10 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 11 London vacation rental agency
- 12 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 13 Scotland ideas
- 14 land vs river cruise
- 15 The World's Greatest Churches
- 16 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 17 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 18 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 19 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 20 Trans Siberian Train
- 21 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 22 South of France
- 23 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 24 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 25 My France Vacation
Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)