2018 is bringing a return to Greece for us and our first taste of the islands (our previous 3 trips were spent on the mainland). As usual, we'll have the boys with us (7 and 5). We will have spent 2 weeks in Italy prior to heading to Greece, so jet lag won't be a factor - just the one hour time diff.
We're flying from Rome to Mykonos and parking there for the first 4 days/5 nights. Plan to see Delos, the archaeology museum in Mykonos, and explore the beaches.
After that... we have 8-9 nights before we head back to Athens where the boys and I will meet up with family friends and head to their family place in Evvia while DH heads to Barcelona for work.
My tentative thought is 4-5 nights on Paros or Naxos, and the final 3-4 nights on Santorini (DH wants to see Akrotiri and Ancient Thira).
1. Which island (Paros or Naxos) for a ruins-loving family with kids? The kids genuinely enjoy ruins and jaunts through museums, but they are also kids... playgrounds, pools, beaches, and casual/family-friendly places to eat are important.
2. I'd like to keep our accommodations budget to 200-300E/night and I'd ideally like to have 2 bedrooms wherever we stay. If you've got a rec on whichever island you recommend, please share .
3. Santorini. Is giving me a headache. Despite hours of research, I'm still at a loss. Santorini is high on DH's list due to the archaeological sights. I'm completely at a loss on what part of the island to choose for accommodations. We appreciate beautiful views, but not enough to spend 900E/night for them to get a 2-bedroom accommodation! Yet a pool or beach access is a priority, as is proximity to a casual and family-friendly restaurant... so which part of the island would you recommend? Driving isn't on our radar as a problem, as we've driven all over mainland Greece and throughout Italy. Correct me if we need to re-think driving for any reason - I'd rather know now!
Many thanks, and any and all advice and insight is greatly, greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 2 land vs river cruise
- 3 Where to stay in Naples?
- 4 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 5 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 6 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 7 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 8 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 9 Tips for first trip to UK
- 10 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 11 Portugal
- 12 Browsing Barcelona
- 13 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 14 Malaga Christmas lights
- 15 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 16 Croatia in mid/late October
- 17 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 18 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 19 Help with Venice Trip?
- 20 Dubrovnik
- 21 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 22 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 23 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 24 Norte Dame light show!
- 25 Where to Eat in Barcelona
Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)