London Hotel - need feed back

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Mary

London Hotel - need feed back

Hi, I am considering staying at Kensington Gardens Hotel at 9 Kensington Garden Square - situated in Bayswater - close to Bayswater Tube and also Queensway tube. Has anyone stayed here? Neighborhood? I understand this is not "posh" area, but they assure me the hotel is refurbished and updated. I am trying to find something around $100.to $110. (two people - priv. bath). I will be going in winter so rates are down then. Anybody help with this? Thank you for your anticipated reply.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Heather

I've never stayed at the Kensington Gardens Hotel, but I've heard it's nice. In fact, I believe they have a pretty good tea. It is a nice area - close to Notting Hill, Portobello Market, Hyde Park. It's considered central by Londoner standards, but I find that when I'm visiting there, I prefer to stay in Bloomsbury. There are some great, affordable, small B&B type hotels in that area. If you're interested, I can give you some info.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 05:12 PM
Mary

Thank you Heather for reply. In the meantime, a friend told me about a B&B near Knightsbridge - says I will love it. I enjoy Fodors book, but I always seem to rely on personal experience. RE: Bloomsbury - I think it is for a younger crowd than me. I am going over solely to see Rembrandt paintings - have been tracking them down. It is my life long ambition. Will leave London and then go to Holland. Should come home saturated by his art. Other than his paintings, I will visit some beautiful homes - Chiswick, Syon, Knole, etc. No pubs, no theatre.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Elizabeth

Mary.......your next ambition is to go to St. Petersburg, Russia. I was there for two weeks and just returned. I stood in a room at the Hermitage that has TWENTY Rembrandts. Check out the
Hermitage Web Site and it shows the
Rembrandt Room.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 08:01 AM
mary

Elizabeth - Ohhhh - I've heard about HIS collection at Hermitage. Only a miracle will take me all the way to Russia ($$$)

Howver, if you love HIM, come to Cincinnati - the Art Museum there is bringing in Old Master paintings from Australia - including HIM - November to January, 2001. I will be there - can make the drive in 3 hours. Thanks for tip on the Heitage web site.