Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Customs when US citizen traveling Paris to London to Rome

May 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

When will we have to go through cuatoms on our travel? We know we will have to clear customs when we return home to Atlanta, but wondering about the above legs of the trip and how much time to allow, if we will need to go through customs?
May 25th, 2012, 06:47 PM

An incredible number of people seem to confuse Customs (looking at your luggage) with Immigrtion (allowing you into the country). The first typically takes bout 2 miutes - since you just wlk ou through the green "nothing to declare" line. The latter can take from 5 minutes up to an hour - depending on the country, your particular profile and how many planes are landing at the same time.

When traveling through Schengen countries (after your first entry from the US) there is no Immigration - it's like going from one US state to another.

How are you traveling from one place to another? Plane or train or? Are you actually entering these countries or are you just changing planes there (and will stay airside - so not go through immigration or customs)?

More info would get you more useful answers.
May 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

We are landing in Paris, going by Eurostar to London, going by Easyjet to Rome. We are staying in each place several days. Yes I did confuse the two! Thanks.
May 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but since the UK is not in the Schengen zone you'll go through some sort of immigration procedure for that trip from Paris to London and you'll go through it again when you cross back into the Schengen zone as you head to Italy from the UK.
May 25th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Border formalities from Paris to London happen in Paris and are allowed for in time you're required to check in in advance (usually 30 mins). From London to Rome, they're in Rome, where queues rarely take more than 5-10 mins.

Goods are in free circulation in the EU: except in emergencies, only people and some animals are subject to limits or checks on cross-border movement.
May 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM

From London to Paris I had to show my passport, get it stamped and then move on. I believe it was very quick and easy.
May 26th, 2012, 10:53 AM

When you arrive in Paris from Atlanta I think you said, you will undergo a passport control on arrival at CDG...the French in the past at least have been incredibly sloppy and I once arrived in Paris CDG and nobody was at the passport control but that usually doesn't happen. You then enter the baggage reclaim artea, wait for your baggage and walk through the green channel (assuming you are not bringing in to the country anything above the lmits which is usually the case for tourists).

Now since you are traveling on a US passport, you will check in at Gare du Nord (you have to go up a flight of stairs although smetimes although not always there is an escalator working), you will pick up a British landing card, fill it out, check in which usually means pressing your ticket's ink mark against a read on a turnstile which opens up to allow you to enter, there will a passport control desk of the French surete or whatever they are calld who will check your passport and stamp you out of Schengen area then about 25 feet further on there will be a British border control who will check your passport, collect your landing card (required of non eu passport holders, eu passport holdrs can travel with an identity card), ask you a few question (how long will you be staing in the UK, where are you staying), stamp your passport and then yo go through Eurostar security (the usual, you put your bag through an e-ray, empty your pockets, you get the drill)....wait in the lounge for your train to be called and when called you go down the escalator, find your seat and yo're on your way. Upon arrival at St. Pancras, there is a customs station but almost everybody has nothing to declare and they do make spot checks but it is rare.

Now upon departure for Rome on Easy Jet, either from Gatwick or Luton or Stanstead or wherever you are leaving from, there is usually no passport control. About 15 years ago, the British stopped having non eu visitors fill out a de-landing card and checking and tamping the passport out although at times of problems they sometimes have a passport control to leave the country. Security of course, the usual.

Upon arrival in Rome, you will go through a passport control as you are re-entering Schengen...they will stamp yur passport, you will go into the customs area, collect your bags and once again go through customs usually by walking through the line aying nothing to declare.

Length of waits at passport control as noted can vary greatly depending on a variety of circumstancdes. Customs is dpeendent on how long it takes the airline to download your luggage.