To Drive or Not To Drive

Search

To Drive or Not To Drive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Drive or Not To Drive

Hi - I'm planning a business trip that will involve some stops in Germany for 4 days on January 2013 14-17) - and was suggested to drive instead of taking trains. Here are the list of cities that I will visit in an orderly manner: Hanover, Krefeld, Tilburg (The Netherlands), Weingarten, and Munich. What is it like to drive in these cities during Winter like? I only have driving experience in USA & Indonesia. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM

Roads in Netherlands are quite good and policemen are not so arrogant as in many other european countris. So, drive!
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Use www.viamichelin.com to find out the best itinerary and its costs to be added to the rental itself. Then compare with train travel costs. Even if cost is not an issue but this is a business trip, you might find it convenient to be able to use your computer while traveling by train between locations.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Trains are very dense in those countries with very frequent service. Last time I was in Germany in January there was a big ice storm that closed many roads and even delayed trains - snow and ice is not that common but a possibility so trains may be faster and more dependable.

Your cities are actually fairly far apart if visiting in the order listed - so train fares can be high - there are discounted tickets at www.bahn.de - the German Railways web portal for schedules and fares and discounted tickets which however are sold in limited numbers and which must be booked weeks early often to guarantee and then they cannot be changed or refunded and are train specific - a full fare ticket lets you hop on any train anytime - actually if doing that much travel in 4 days consider the Germany-Benelux Railpass that lets you hop on any train you apparently will be taking anytime - and if business expense is paying it then a first-class pass offers really luxurious train travel - sometimes free Internet and computer plugs may only be in first class but not sure about that.

But I always have a first class railpass so travel in first class and yes see so many business types on their computers as they travel - first class seats are bigger and there are often many empty seats to put luggage on, etc. 2nd class can at times be very crowded and not nearly so relaxing.

Anyway for loads of great info on German trains and passes I always highlight these IMO fantastic sources - http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html; www.seat61.com and ww.ricksteves.com. High-speed trains in Germany go nearly 190 mph - faster than driving even on the autobahns with no speed limit (only about half of the system and IME you can always get traffic bottlenecks, especially around large urban areas.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Most of the drive at least till you get to Tilburg won't be scenic. You will have few daylight hours anyway.
Driving is usually no big issue when your car is equipped with winter tires. Motorways get gritted and plowed first and constantly. No one stops driving here in winter. Though you want to drive at adequate speeds then
If your itinerary lets you get to your different destinations in acceptable time by train, go for it.
Just don't ever think that German Rail will be "dependable" or reliable when there is more than one snow flake
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you need to visit city centres then you might as well take the train. If your business visits are out in the country then take the car.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Very good point about train travel allowing you to work enroute or just relax for a bit. That down time is important with business travel, esspecially since it looks like a rather fast-paced trip. if the train schedules work out for your needs, that is what I would do.

Another thing to think about - "it was suggested to drive" is pretty vague. Suggested by whom? Does the suggestor have any credibility? Has he or she made this or very similar trip? What were the reasons the person gave for driving? Do those reasons apply to your situation? We don't need to know the answers to those questions, but they are questions I ask myself when I receive advice about something.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advises.
Since it is a business trip, budget is not the main concern. What I am more concern is the fact to get to the next city by train would require us to transfer at least one time, and sometime 2-3 transfers (last time I checked). Since, I will be travelling with my dad who is 68 years old - I am thinking of the most convenient method for him, which I thought driving would let us move from one city to the other conveniently at our pace. However, I will double check the train schedules again with some the above recommendations. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM

With that new bit of information I would also say that train travel may not be the most convenient way for your dad. Especially since Weingarten (aasuming it's the one near Ravensburg near Lake Constance) should be really a PITA to get to from Tilburg.
But when you calculate driving times on viamichelin.com or others don't let those estimates fool you. You will hardly average more than 100 km per hour, calculating with a moderate top speed and neither empty nor overly crowded roads. Avoid scenic routes and stick to the motorway network as that gets top priority when there is snow or ice. Before leaving leaving Hannover, get a few basics at the next gas station like de-icing spray and a windshield scraper.
Fortunately, long legs of your route will take you on not so crowded motorways, e.g. on your leg from Tilburg once you get to Venlo and go SE on German Autobahn A61 which by-passes most major conurbations until you hit the Mannheim area.
Hannover to Krefeld will be busy, esp. once you get to Dortmund and hit the Rhine-Ruhr metroplex freeways. A5/A8 will be a busy leg until you get to Ulm and go south on B30.
Weingarten to Munich will be easy to drive on A96 via Memmingen.
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Just don't ever think that German Rail will be "dependable" or reliable when there is more than one snow flake>

I can attest to that - one recent January like I said above many DB trains in the Dusiburg-Arnhem area were delayed by ice or snow or even cancelled - my train to Arnhem from Duisburg was replaced by a bus!

do not be afraid of changing trains in Germany IME - often from one platform to an adjoining one if it is a coordinated change with lots of folks getting off one train and onto the next.

In any case there should not be much walking involved - there are free luggage trolleys on platforms (carry oen euro coins to use them - get the coin back when you re-engage the trolley is the rack on your departing platform - should be no stairs in most Germany stations to have to navigate with lifts being in place in most and larger stations seem to be all at one level - a deadend station where trains come in and reverse directions to go back out - the front of the platforms being a large area full of shops and kiosks - like in winter those serving the ubiquitous piping hot spiced wine.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Just want to update - I decided to drive during my last visit in Germany. It was good overall (I love love the freeway), but due to heavy snow in some area, we got stuck a few hours on the freeway. Thanks for all the inputs.