Reload this Page >

Custom French and Italian Suits for Extraordinary Small Size

Notices

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a fine suit place to get suits custom made? Preferably in vegan fabric but if not most likely in silk and suede.

Looking in Paris and Milan but open to travel for special suit maker. It's for a photo shoot and other special occasions so a perfect fit is crucial.

Thank you!
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:52 PM

You want a suede suit? Vegan suede? It's early but that's make much sense.

Size won't be an issue and non hack will be able to make any size you need.

Budget? Time frame?
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DGCommittee View Post
Does anyone know of a fine suit place to get suits custom made? Preferably in vegan fabric but if not most likely in silk and suede.

Looking in Paris and Milan but open to travel for special suit maker. It's for a photo shoot and other special occasions so a perfect fit is crucial.

Thank you!
You realise that bespoke takes a couple of weeks at least, no?
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought, I worked with a woman who was really tiny, the size of a child. She often bought children's clothing and had them altered where necessary. Check out upmarket kids stores.

Kay
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Vegan suede would be real bouge! Open to budget as long as it's well made; someone who takes excellent measurements to avoid too many alterations if at all, takes pride in their craft so if it works out possibly have more suits made. What do you mean non hack will be able to make any size I need? Who is non hack? Sorry I didn't understand was that a typo! The 2 week time frame might work in Paris but not in Milan where it's a shorter stay. They can ship back to the US I would think?

There's a possibility for a stop around the Emilia Romagna region so a suit maker from there would work too. Probably stay for a little over a week

Any thoughts on which area/hotel to base if I were to stay put in one place and just drive or take the train? Where to pick up the car from Milan?

Thanks!!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

KayF I'll Google children's suit stores. Thank you!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DGCommittee View Post
. . . What do you mean non hack will be able to make any size I need? Who is non hack? Sorry I didn't understand was that a typo! . . .
I take it to mean someone who isn't a "hack". Someone who's good at what they do. T. Nick will let us both know I'll bet.

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 12:37 AM

Made to measure or better bespoke should require zero alterations. At least with bespoke the whole process is made for you and nobody else. But two weeks is way too quick a turn around. Bespoke would really require months. Thing is you don't need to be here. Many of the traveling tailors visit the US. Both Italian and British.

The smallest common Italian size is a 46 which translates to 92cm or a 36inch. Very rarely you'll see some shops selling a 44. But they aren't that common in adult sizes.

When you say small you mean small in everything? Or short? Or thin?
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

MmePerdu, that makes sense thank you for clarifying.

He's not small in everything. Short torso and arms but big plump feet so pants can be tricky -- a rare Tahitian tiger chimp doll around 24 inches (I could be way off) Very soft

I cancelled my trip though due to what's going on. I'll wait it out till next year and enjoy my home more since I just moved, decorate, learn to garden, do more staycations. I can't believe this virus has already taken out over 3K people. That's more than 9/11! Part of me isn't even bummed about not going I just couldn't believe I had to cancel my trip because of a pandemic. It sounds very medieval yet strikingly real. I pray and send love and peace to all the souls that perished from the corona. What a way to annihilate humans.

I'm still very interested in the French and Italian suits so any referral appreciated. Just means the fitting will be done most likely next year.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 12:23 AM

So this is for a doll? I think you're better off looking for a local seamstress or tailor.

Made to measure isn't likely to work and bespoke will cost thousands. Multiple thousands.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

CUSTOM FRENCH AND ITALIAN SUITS FOR EXTRAORDINARY SMALL SIZEReply to Thread

We have not found a suit maker yet but here's an old one of him looking very dapper
Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:09 AM

I was surprised to find that there is a "Vegan" silk available, DG. It is made from the silkworm cocoon after the larva has been allowed bore its way out naturally, rather than being boiled to kill it, leaving the cocoon intact. VERY expensive!
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:39 AM

I agree that all you really need is a good seamstress. They are not hard to find anywhere in Italy or France, or probably not much of anywhere else.
Old May 25th, 2020, 05:53 AM

DGCommittee, if you would consider providing measurements online, try googling 'tailors in New York City'.
Old May 25th, 2020, 06:10 AM

A possible vegan solution is a new thread deriving from castor beans. Not only is this "vegan" but the castor bean plants are able to grow in soil not usually used for agriculture, do not need pesticides and need very little water. A win - win - win.
Old May 25th, 2020, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
I agree that all you really need is a good seamstress. They are not hard to find anywhere in Italy or France, or probably not much of anywhere else.
In Italy nearly every small town has an expert seamstress. There are at least two in my very small town. They're reasonably priced; I have all of my slacks, and at least half of my other clothing, made by a seamstress. This would have been unthinkable in the US.
Old May 25th, 2020, 11:27 AM

We have two, also, in our closest small town. Plus a couple of young people who also do other odd jobs who are amazing seamstresses. I don't think I ever knew of anyone who did that when we lived in the USA.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:45 AM

My granddaughter who turned 1 yesterday has had a number of shirts/blouses, dresses etc done by a local seamstress in Como which may be the sort of size you are looking for.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

I think vegan material is the way to go! Though vegan silk... ooh la la that sounds nice.

This might be a little forward but do you think any of your trusted seamstresses might be interested in customizing a suit for him?

Here's a side profile of him for size reference

In casual attire in the Latin Quarter
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

He also has an instagram account if you want to see more pics and his favorite quotes, etc

RCTIMES2020

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO