Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Currency Exchange: Where's a good place to do it? Milan, Florence, Rome, Paris, London

Currency Exchange: Where's a good place to do it? Milan, Florence, Rome, Paris, London

Mar 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I'm aware that exchanging currencies from one to another is a rip off most of the time. But I was wondering.. where I could go for foreign currency exchange (U.S. dollars to Euro)?

We'll be in Milan, Florence, Rome, Paris and London.

Please help.

Thank you!

Mar 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Most people prefer to use their ATM card and get the currency they need upon arrival in each country/type of currency... rather than actually "exchange" money.
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I've read about just taking out money at an ATM... but in case, we have some cash to exchange.. where can we go?
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM

bank
airport
train station
currency exchange bureau
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Short answer: ATMs are everywhere in Europe. Tell your bank and credit card company when you will be in Europe so some computer doesn't freeze your cards for what it thinks is unauthorized use. You may want to increase your daily ATM withdrawal limit so you can withdraw money less frequently and thus pay fewer transaction fees. Here's the URL for a helpful article on changing money in Europe: www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm.
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM

There are such places all over central Paris (not as many as used to be due to ATMs, but enough). The one on the Champs-Elysees across from the Gap store gives pretty good rates. There are several on rue de Rivoli near the Louvre and you'll have to compare rates, but I think some are okay, also. They have quite a few in Chinatown, actually, and they give good rates, but you probably don't want to go there (13th arr, ave de Choisy). If by any chance you are in Montparnasse, there is a good one at 95 bd Montparnasse with excellent rates (Crédit Général de Bourse et de Change).

Other than that, I've heard that some of the foreign banks around the opera give decent rates (like an Italian bank or something). If you only have a small amount, it doesn't really matter that much.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM

hotel front desk