Notices

currency exchange and tipping in Ireland

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
colleen

currency exchange and tipping in Ireland

Hi,

I'm leaving for Ireland tomorrow and was wondering, where's the best place to exchange dollars for euros?

Also, can anyone give me information about tipping practices in Ireland? Where do you tip, and how much?

Thanks!

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Blank

Any of the main banks ie. Bank of Ireland, AIB or National Irish Bank. There is a whole cluster of them around Trinity College. There's also a Bank of Ireland on the Departures Level at Dublin Airport.

As for tipping, I'd tip about 12% in restaurants. You never tip in a bar unless it's table service and then only about 1 euro per round of drinks (provided there are only a few people in the round!). Some people feel obliged to tip taxi-drivers (by rounding up to the nearest euro) but I don't feel the need - if your conscience is pricked, give money to a beggar instead. Irish taxi-drivers are not deserving causes!!

Old May 26th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Irish

The best place to exchange dollars is right in your pocketbook - your ATM card. You will almost always get a significantly better exch rate by simply withdrawing Euros from the ATM - as long as you have a card on the Cirrus or NYCE network - which most are.
This applies not just to Ireland - but most countries - and credit card purchases too.
Also, don't forget to ask for Tax Back when making any major purchases - you can get the sales tax back at Shannon and Dublin airports - IN CASH.
Enjoy your trip.

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Dave

Do not exchange dollars for euros. Use an ATM attached to your checking account and make sure that it is linked to either a Master Card or Visa access.
If you exchange you will get hit with exchange rates. ATM is easier and cheaper. If you are traveling with another see if they have an ATM also in case one doesn't work. We just ran into that in the last 15 days of travel. My card didn't work everywhere. Where mine didn't work, hers did.
Many places they add the tip into the bill. check it. it will say on bill.
Just got back to US tonight from Erie and London, Paris.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Amy

On the tax back issue, it is not always in cash. I bought sweaters last fall, and they deducted the VAT from the purchase price when I bought. They said if I didn't return the form to them signed and stamped within 90 days, they would then charge my credit card with the VAT. It varies from place to place, but it is not always a case of getting VAT back in cash at the airport.

Also, tipping in bars...while 15% isn't the norm like it is here in the US, 1 euro per round is insulting. My boyfriend was a bartender in Dublin city center, and said the tourists ripped them off constantly with this "theory." When out with him there, I see him leave about 10%, whether it's 2 people or a group of us.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
jacqui

Hi, we have a restaurant in ireland and as far as tipping goes, i would agree that 10 - 15% is acceptable, my waitresses work very hard at making guets welcome and really do appreciate their tips..however if you get terrible service, leave nothing, there is no obligation to tip and it might help make people raise their service standards!! Have a lovely holiday, call in to see us at Jean-Marc's Chow House if you make it to Kinsale,
cheers,
jacqui and Jean-Marc

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Christie

I'll agree that the ATMs are the best place to get Euros while in Ireland. Check eith your bank before you leave to see what the service charge is per transaction, though.

Oh, be advised that ATMs are NOT everywhere, especially when you get out into the countryside, so don't leave a big town with no money in your pocket because you'll likely stay that way for a while!

I also bought $100 worth of Euros at my bank before I left, and it was a good thing. That allowed me to have cash in hand to pay for quick things at the airport without having to hassle with an ATM and my luggage!

As for the VAT, it was easy to get the vouchers taken care of while I was at the airport. There are a couple of different types, so be sure to notice which ones you have before you get in line. I ended up getting 20 Euros back, so it was worth it!

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Ken

Hey, Jacqui:

This site has a no advertising policy.