Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

TGV: Provence to CDG....direct or via Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I' m puzzled when to search for a one-way 1st class seat from Provence to (ultimately) CDG on Sept.24.

Flexible in departure city (Aix, Avignon....)

In testing out both voyages-scnf and trainline.eu for a Sept. 14 date to see what PREMs were available and at what times of day, I found only one direct per day, a non-PREM senior fare of 63€ from Aix. I expected less cost, more trains.

I see 40€ to arrive at Gare d'Lyon, more arrivals. Add on 17€ for the Air France bus (an hour added to the trip), and it's 57€ total...not much difference.

I'd prefer to go direct to CDG, during the day, at a more reasonable cost. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be checking at 18:02 (Eastern) each evening in hopes of a 20€ fare?
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will always find far more direct trains to Gare de Lyon than to CDG. It's simply a question of which destination interests more people.

Even when people are flying out of CDG, most people prefer to be cautious and not take a train on the day of their flight.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kerouac said. And there's really no reason at all to pay for a 1st-class ticket.

You can keep checking, but I wouldn't expect much to change unless you can find an IDTGV fare.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:20 AM

If you're willing to leave at 6:48 am and change at Nîmes it will only cost you about 22 €. But taking a train from that far away on the day of departure is courting disaster anyway.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you go to Gare de Lyon, you can also take a quick trip on the RER D from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord and then just cross the platform there to take the RER B to CDG. That would cost 10€ instead of 17€ and would not be subject to surprise traffic jams.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 10:00 AM

I am hoping to do this a bit later in Oct. By any chance is it too early for those trains to be on the schedule? it seems to be when I was researching (using earlier dates) there were frequent trains from Aix to CDG. There were also Ouigo's - super cheap - that could be booked far in advance. Did you try the site trainline.eu? maybe SNCF is being snarly for you.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Sorry did not read your post carefully - you already tried trainline. So I tried a dummy booking for a nearby date in Sept. - best I saw was 49E second class and many fares higher! Maybe there were just more trains in the summer?
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 10:38 AM

No need for 1st class but IMO first-class has significant benefits over 2nd cl- less seats per same size train car and those lovely isolated seats with just one seat per row -an aisle and a window seat - two can face each other for couples and more room for luggage.

Opinions on this vary and I appreciate StCirq's take and if I were a frequent train traveler like she then I'd go first class but for the average tourist why scimp - discounted fares can be nearly as cheap as 2nd class sometimes but search both - you may find some trains with only 1st class seats remaining for discounts and not 2nd. But if it is a huge difference then 2nd class is fine.

For lots on trains and difference between classes - check www.seat61.com - superb site for tips on getting discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:37 AM

It's too early for good fares in October. You need to book 92 days out from your date of travel to get the good fares.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Man in Seat 61 on his site about first class:

What more do you get in 1st class?
First class gets you wider seats, plusher seats, more leg and elbow room, and fewer passengers per coach. In most cases, you should assume that's all. Luggage room is exactly the same, admittedly with fewer passengers per coach using it, though this is not a significant reason for choosing one class rather than the other as there is always room for luggage.

Table for two? First class cars generally have seats arranged 2+1 across the width of the car (meaning 2 seats abreast, then aisle, then one solo seat), hence the wider seats with more elbow room compared to 2+2 seating in 2nd class. See the photos on the right. So in a typical first class car you'll find tables for two as well as tables for four - if you're a couple, facing each other across an intimate table for two, both of you getting a window seat that's also an aisle seat is a key advantage of going 1st class. As is booking a 'solo' seat if you're travelling alone.>

He says that 2nd class is perfectly comfortable but like me finds the solo (aisle and window) seats a key advantage - if you're sitting two by two not much difference to me -just like the privacy of solo seats and not having to bother others or be bothered by others to get up and go to the loo, snack-bar, to stretch, etc.

And he says and I agree how much is the cost difference - if huge then go 2nd class -if not that much as can be the case it is worth it.>