Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Curling Iron Purchase in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/curling-iron-purchase-in-london-199559/)

Pam Apr 15th, 2002 03:56 AM

Curling Iron Purchase in London

We will be traveling from the US through England and Scotland in a month. I need to use a curling iron. After researching several posts on the forum, it sounds like it would be much less complicated to purchase a curling iron in the UK than to bother with butane or adaptors. Where would I have the best luck making the purchase? I would like to take care of that as soon as we arrive. We will be staying near Kensington Gardens. Thanks!!

Pauline Apr 15th, 2002 04:12 AM

Pam,<BR><BR>Where, near Kensington Gardens????? (the gardens are rather large).<BR>I stayed at the Millenium Gloucester (near Kensington Gardens, 1/2 mile away) a couple of years ago. "Booths" the chemist sold hair dryers & curling irons etc.<BR>What is the address of your hotel? That might help others to be more specific about where you can purchase...

Sue Apr 15th, 2002 04:18 AM

I think you can get one at Boots all over London. However, I'd like to hear from anyone who has purchased a bigger diameter one than the standard size in Europe. Each time I go, I try to find one to no avail. I'm talking about 3/4" -1" diameter. Tried in France, UK, and Italy. Ran into another American trying to find the same thing.

Virginia Apr 15th, 2002 07:17 AM

I purchased a curling iron in Boots in Galway City, Ireland. But Boots is all over the UK. I bought a Braun, I believe it's 3/4 inch, and instead of electric it's gas. It worked great for me and I am bringing it with me when I go back to the UK this June. I found I can by the gas ( I don't know what you call them) refill here in the US

Pam Apr 15th, 2002 07:31 AM

Does that mean you can buy the gas refills in the United Kingdom as well? I have been concerned that I would not be able to obtain the butane refills in the UK if mine were to be confiscated at the airport.

juile Apr 15th, 2002 09:46 AM

You can buy that kind of stuff anywhere you can buy it here..in a Drug store, called "chemist" there, or a department store. If possible, get one with dual voltage. Be sure to also buy a set of universal plugs, as each country, (France, England, Spain, etc..) use a different one with different voltage.

Barb Apr 15th, 2002 10:03 AM

Pam--I recently went to Italy, and was going to wait to buy a curling iron there, but happened to find one that is dual voltage before I left. It is marked "Dual voltage for worldwide travel". It does not have a switch, but adjusts automatically for the correct voltage. You will need a plug adapter, available in every Walmart. The curling iron is by Vidal Sassoon, and I paid $7.99 at a store called Big Lots, but you should be able to find it at Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc. I bought the 1" barrel, I think there were a couple of choices of sizes. There is a website on the package: WWW.HelenofTroyUSA.com

Laura Apr 15th, 2002 10:08 AM

Pam -- I needed to purchase a curling last year while in England (I blew up the one I brought with me!) and found them in all the stores you would think to look in (department stores, drug stores, etc.). However, I had a TERRIBLE time finding one that had the right size barrel and that did not have hairbrush-like bristles on it. Finally had to compromise and make do with what I could find. If you are particular about barrell size, you might want to reconsider and go the adaptor route.