Curing the Blues....a mini report on Brugge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of reading on this board since I got back from my vacation to London and Belgium/France. The primary reason is to help cure a bad case of PTD (Post Trip Depression).

Not surprisingly, most people who have gone through this advise to immediately start planning the next trip and also to post trip reports which also help others to plan. Yes, I've already started to plan that next great trip but in the meantime, I see how passing along my observations does help as well. So in no particular order, here's the first of a few postings about Belgium and London.

First of all, Belgium was wonderful! I found it very clean and pretty, the people warm and friendly, the train system great, and lots of history. Mind you I only went to Brugge and Ieper (Ypres) and took a few jaunts into the countryside, and did not go to any of the cities like Brussels, Antwerp, etc. Maybe that's why I liked it so much!

I was in Brugge for about a day and a half and I loved it! It was very magical, and pretty but one thing that really jumped out at me was thank goodness I was there in the off season! Even in late March, the streets, shops, cafes etc. were filled with visitors. I can't imagine what it's like in the summer. Wow! Anyway, I took the requisite canal boat tour and I also took the bus tour. I know a lot of people on this board say neither are worth it, but I didn't find that at all. I should say that I had planned on the canal tour all along, and only decided on the bus tour at the
last minute. It was near the end of my second and last day, and I was getting really tired, and felt that I still had not seen enough. Then I saw the tour bus, got on, and really ended up enjoying it and I found it quite interesting. Yes, a lot of people on this board say it's not a good use of time and money, but you won't hear that from me. To each their own!

Coming up next, Ieper (Ypres).....

Happy travels,
Dale
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hi Dale,

Thanks for sharing. I love Brugge and have done the canal boat tour twice and would do it again. Can't wait to read about Ypres since I've never been there.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Just back from 3 days in Brugges. The city was, indeed, magical, a step back 1000 years. We were going to do a side trip, but couldn't tear ourselves away from the shops and waffles and horse and buggy and canal boat ride and strolling those charming cobblestone streets...Yes, it was crowded, but mostly during the day. The day trippers cleared out in the evening. Food was delicious, although a little pricey. Loved our trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi. That's why I often think that the way to visit the most tourist-trampled places is to make them your base to stay, though it sounds risky. That way you're day-tripping out and savoring the town in the evenings and early mornings. (I don't attempt this often, but it worked in Rothenburg and Brugge; hoping it will also for Brienz and perhaps Mont St. Michel?) J.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:04 AM

This idea worked very well for us in Mont St. Michel. Being there at night is truly magical!