Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cure for too much vino? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cure-for-too-much-vino-471737/)

bashful Sep 2nd, 2004 12:25 PM

cure for too much vino?

ok..i'm certainly not expecting to "over-imbibe" but if perchance I did...any great cures so one can continue sightseeing the next day without the headache and queasy stomach?

kismetchimera Sep 2nd, 2004 12:26 PM

take Alka Seltzer...

tpatricco Sep 2nd, 2004 12:27 PM

drink lots of water and take a couple Advil before going to bed.

CarlosSandoval Sep 2nd, 2004 12:33 PM

Drink more wine!!!

StephenG Sep 2nd, 2004 12:38 PM

Two Bloody Marys.

suze Sep 2nd, 2004 12:46 PM

My Swiss friends serve a morning beverage of inexpensive cold white wine and pink grapefruit juice. Their version of a "mimosa". Right after one cup of strong coffee.

Lots of water before bedtime helps dilute things, then easing back into the wine gradually starting in the morning is the best cure I've found.

Larry_M Sep 2nd, 2004 12:46 PM

Advil before bed to diminish the headache. Milkshake, preferably vanilla, in the morning to coat your stomach. Has worked for me since college days.

SuzieC Sep 2nd, 2004 12:49 PM

Well... IF this ever happens to me, I drink a lot of water to re-hydrate and wait until the "feeling" goes away some...then I take the Alka-Seltzer before I go to sleep..THEN the next morning I do swear by "the hair of the dog that bit you" cure... 1 bloody Mary, not to much Vodka, and my drunken crowd (Did I say that?) thinks for some reason, its the Worchester sauce...sheesh!

Mark_va Sep 2nd, 2004 12:51 PM

Just keep drinking and sightseeing so there is no next day-

degas Sep 2nd, 2004 01:15 PM

Don't wait until the end of the evening to drink water - it's too late to replace what you have already lost.
Start the water early.

Robespierre Sep 2nd, 2004 01:15 PM

Three 325mg aspirin at bedtime with a liter of water.

matney Sep 2nd, 2004 02:45 PM

There is a product on the market called "Chaser" that is taken while you are drinking. It certainly works for me. there is a Chaser for wine and one for hard liquor and sold by GNC nutrition stores, Rite Aid, a chain drug store, and you can probably buy it on the web. It's not cheap but it does work --- why don't you try it before you leave!

SeaUrchin Sep 2nd, 2004 03:15 PM

I'm sure Dr. Rex will know for sure, but I have read that taking Advil or Tylenol with a stomach full of alcohol can cause kidney or liver damage.

I always just drink alot of water and some starchy food if I think I have had too much.

MelissaHI Sep 2nd, 2004 03:22 PM

I learned this from some Aussies--take Vitamin B! I think there are even carbonated drinks full of Vitamin B that are on the market, to help specifically with this problem. Best if you can remember to take the Vit. B before bed....if not, when you wake up.

Scarlett Sep 2nd, 2004 03:24 PM

You are not supposed to drink while taking Advil, etc because of liver damage, but that is when you are taking it daily for some reason.
You should not take aspirin BEFORE drinking as it just thins your blood, allowing you to get drunk faster :)
I get headaches very easily, often while I am having a glass of wine. I have serious headache drugs that work the next day.
But the Yankee, the one with the hollow leg, says black coffee and a big breakfast ! Of course, his big breakfast at those times usually includes a Bloody Mary ((D))
Have fun bashful:)

petertherabbitt Sep 2nd, 2004 03:37 PM

sccarlet bad inaccurate advice. liver problems will occur in some after chronic ethanol and nsaid use and alcohol does not thin your blood and cause you to get drunk more quickly. aspirin acts as a blood thinner itself. stick to fact not fantasy

harzer Sep 2nd, 2004 05:37 PM

Peter Rabbit!

Try reading the post you are answering and you will enter the real world yourself.

Harzer

Scarlett Sep 2nd, 2004 05:41 PM

Sccarlet would advise that the bunny rabbit read my reply again :)
I said or meant that when one takes aspirin, ones blood gets thinner. Then when one drinks alchohol, one gets drunk faster.
When one posts on Fodors too much, one find oneself talking to rabbits.

l_jackson95814 Sep 2nd, 2004 07:45 PM

Gatorade or a similar drink followed by a pepsi and lots of water. Not sure which one works more, but this is my cure as well as toast.

Scarlett Sep 2nd, 2004 07:52 PM

jackson, would the Gatorade be to replace electrolites lost when drinking or being sick from drinking?
Interesting :)