Torn between Nimes and Arles

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Monica

Torn between Nimes and Arles

I've been rethinking my trip in Provence (coming up this week). I had deleted Nimes for smaller town visits (Pont du Gard, Uzes, and maybe Tarascon); have Arles for a day trip. But I'm still interested in Nimes. If one had to choose between Nimes and Arles, which would you choose and why? Our original plans are to drive to Arles from Saint Remy. If we decide to skip Arles, we'd have an extra day for more small towns to visit and would take the train to Nimes from Avignon (of course I'll have to check train schedules from Avignon).

I will re-read about both towns, but would love to hear your comments! Thank you!

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Dina

We used Nimes as a base for several days to visit other towns in the area. My comments and pictures about Nimes, which I think is a charming town, are on:
www.costumegoddess.com/travelog.htm
beginning on the "South of France" page.

We planned to visit Arles, St. Remy, and Aix, but ended up skipping Arles as the traffic was such a nightmare, and continued on through. Make no mistake about it, the traffic was a nightmare in Aix too!

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Monica

Thanks Dina for your input! I'll check out the web site.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
mpprh

Hi

If its any help both Nimes and arles were quiet this morning !

So was Beaucaire, Tarascon and St Remy this afternoon. There were more people at Le Baux (mainly French), but nothing like July.

Read more about Provence / Languedoc here -

http://tlp.netfirms.com

Peter

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:56 AM
la femme

We used Nimes as our base and toured the area. We loved being in Nimes--it is a lovely "walk around" town, wonderful shops, many great places to eat and we attended a "French" bullfight--no blood, at least not from the bulls! Arles is lovely, but not as much to offer within the town. The hotel parked our car and we never took it out unless we were going on a roadtrip that to see other towns. Let us know about your trip.

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Boots

Dear Monica,
I was in Paris, Arles, and Nice in March. I have been to all of them many times and would have skipped Arles, but a friend was along and one always compromises. I think many of the smaller places are far more interesting--Chateauneuf des Papes, Roussillon, Gordes, Lourmarin, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, etc. None are a long drive. I find Tarascon only mildly interesting, and I do like Les Baux though it is touristy. St.-Rémy is a favorite. If you do go to Arles, I found Les Alyscamps interesting; it is the ancient cemetery that Van Gogh and Gauguin painted, and I had the best meal of the trip at the Jules César hotel. I think Nîmes is a prettier town with more interesting Roman sites. Bon voyage! Boots

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Connie

Just to add fuel to the fire, we much preferred Arles during our stay. Nimes seemed much busier & noisier. We also had a few kids swarm us in Nimes which was uncomfortable (but not unsafe - I don't want to give that impression). Arles had a much slower pace and we loved it's midievel lanes and all the pottery & craft shops. We stopped at an old monastery in town which was like an oasis of calm. Other people have obviously had much better visits to Nime but these are my thoughts.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Monica

Thanks everyone for your comments! I do appreciate it! I'm leaning towards Nimes and skipping Arles on this trip. Reenie, my cousin, told me this afternoon that she's really interested in Nimes. We might be able to do both if I change my day trip of Pont du Gard and Uzes to Pont du Gard and Nimes and have Arles another day.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:01 PM
clairobscur

I would choose Arles without a second thought. It's IMO a more charming and picturesque town, quieter too and has several interesting monuments. The Alyscamps make a pleasant walk, indeed.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Joe

Both are great so you can't make a bad choice. One of the high points in Nimes is the Maison Carre, a Roman temple which Jefferson believed to be the perfect building and used as a model when he designed the Virginia state capitol. And I really liked St. Trophime in Arles. The St. Trophime cloisters are especially beautiful, and the carvings in the capitals tell the story of St. Margaret and the Tarasque.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:22 PM
mimi taylor

I want to add that Nimes is not Provence, tho it's often included in travel books as is Carcassone. Nimes is in the south of France in Languedoc.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:27 PM
StCirq

Monica:

I like both Nîmes and Arles, but as a base I'd stay in Arles. Lovely city with a great market and fabulous Roman ruins (OK, so does Nîmes)and a truly provençal atmosphere. Nîmes is a classic Languedoc city, different from the provençal atmosphere. Frankly, I don't think you'd regret a decision to stay in either place, but if I had to decide for myself, I'd opt for Arles.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Monica

Thanks again for everyone's replys. St. Cirq, I'm just looking at either place for a day trip, not a place to spend the night.

Based on everyone's comments, both places are wonderful to visit. At least we can make final decisions next week, but I think we are leaning towards Nimes!

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Billyb

St Cirq pointed out an important distinction which to me gives Arles a clear edge - the Provencal atmosphere. Provence is my favorite region in the world and Arles is an outstanding example of the Provencal lifestyle.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:29 PM
maggie

Would you consider basing yourself perhaps elsewhere like Avignon instead? To be honest after touring around France for 6 weeks last year Arles & nimes were perhaps my elast favourite places I stayed in - Nimes in particular I found lacking in charm...but that is just my view.

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:16 PM
PB

Maggie,

If you found Nîmes lacking in charm, you'll hate staying in Avignon. Crowded, traffic and noise...

Monica,
You've noticed I've stayed out of this one ? You could still visit both - Arles needn't be a full day trip and it's only about 30 minutes from St. Rémy so you could visit and hit the highlights on your way TO or From someplace else.

Patricia

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Maggie

Hi Patricia,
I did visit avignon & absolutely loved it - I thought it was just beautiful & charming & really enjoyed wandering around exploring it. Personally I never had the same enjoyment from Nimes & arles but each to their own as they say.
Best wishes.