Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cuckoo Clocks & Christmas Pyramids in Munich

Aug 24th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to go to munich early december for the christmas markerts and am interested in buying cuckoo clocks and christmas pyramids. Are there any stores that have good prices? Are they that much cheaper there? I have found some places on line that sell them,is it better to buy them there.
Aug 24th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Max Krug located at Neuhauser Strasse 2 is a famous store for clocks and other items. It is located on the main street just a 2 minute walk from Marienplatz. I don't know if the clocks are cheaper in Munich, but the store will ship it for you or wrap it well for you to carry.
They do have a website and you could compare prices there (www.max-krug.com). It is a fun store to browse in with a huge selections of items.
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Here is a chain store that has wonderful German products.
http://www.wohlfahrt.com/

There are several stores in Germany, but I don't see Munich on the list. But it might be good for comparison shopping or to get an idea of prices.

I'm not sure where you live, but she has a store in Minnesota which I think is the only one in North America.

One day I plan to get to the German Christmas Markets - have fun!
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:16 AM

We bought our clock at one of the department stores in Munich where we found the prices less than those at specialty stores. I can't judge if we were comparing apples to apples however.
Aug 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Black forest cuckoo clocks can be pricey and Lynnsustin has the right store. you do know german families frown on them, no?! i would rather buy a beer stein or a viertel but to each her own.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Why do german families frown on the clocks? What/who is viertel
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Personally, i would try to check prices ELSEWHERE as a comparison because you will be paying shipping charges unless you buy something small enough to hand carry back. I would also authenticate the ORIGIN of anything I bought.

Recently, in Oberammergau of all places, there were apparently carved items that had been made elsewhere being sold.

I personally couldn't care less what german families frown on unless it is harmful someway to have these items