Reload this Page >

cruising to Italy

Search

cruising to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:15 AM
Rita

cruising to Italy

My friend and I will be cruising to Italy aboard Royal Carribbean..We arrive in thsese ports..Livorno..Civitavecchia.....Sorrento.The excursions offered on the ship are long and very expensive.We feel we could cover more ground on our own. ANY advice would be appreciated.Thank you in advance. Rita

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Steve James

Hello Rita,<BR><BR>You can use public transport from each of these ports.<BR><BR>From Livorno you can reach Florence in 90 mins. <BR>Other possibilities are Pisa & Lucca, which are close enough to combine.<BR>You can reach Livorno Station by taxi or bus.<BR><BR>From Civitavecchia there are frequent trains to Rome. <BR>Civitavecchia Station is a 15 mins. walk from the port, I believe, or a short taxi ride. <BR><BR>From Sorrento you can visit Pompei or Ercolano, Capri, the Amalfi Coast, Naples ...<BR><BR>Alternatively you can pre-book private tours from each of these ports.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Mary

Hi Rita!<BR>If you want Livorno it's near also to the Cinque Terre. You can get there by train (1h30m). You can go to Levanto and then move to 5 terre, but how many time do you have? Let me know

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Steve

Thank you for your help.I have a map of the tourist attractions and we were thinking of starting at the Vatican and working our way backto the ship.Will the train takeus to the Vatican.Have you heard of anyone using taxi for the whole day?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Rita

Thanks for your reply Mary....The ship arrives at 7am and sails at 7pm.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Ken

Rita,<BR><BR>Go to www.cruisecritic.com and click on Boards and select Royal Carribbean under Cruise Lines or Europe under Ports of Call. You will find there are many reviews on each ports by many people. We will be on the same ship in August and have found them very useful. Hope this helps. Ken

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Kris

We used the train from Civitavecchia to Rome with no problem. For us it was a short walk from the dock to the train station, took about an hour and cost less than $10 round trip. If you use the train be sure to punch your ticket before boarding the train or they could fine you. And give yourself a little extra time to get back to the boat just in case. We almost missed the train when the metro stopped running.<BR><BR>The train stopped at San Pietro (St. Peter's) and at Termini Station. If you opt to do the ancient sites (Coliseum, Forum), I think it's better to go to Termini and catch the metro to the Colosseo stop. If you opt for the ancient sites, try to find the church (San Pietro in Vincoli) with the statue of Moses by Michelangelo which is close by.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:45 AM
: Rita

Thanks so much for giving your time to help us out. Very useful and very appreciated.