Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cruising Scandanavia Capitals and Tallinn. Seeking advice on what to see in each.

Cruising Scandanavia Capitals and Tallinn. Seeking advice on what to see in each.

Old May 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in doubt, ask Fordorites. So here goes. We are taking our first ever large ship cruise Baltic;Scandanavia Capitals, St Petersburg and Tallinn. We already arranged a guided tour for St Petersburg (two days) with Alla Ushakova and I think we got that one covered. I get the idea for the other cities we could do well on our own, as we are resisting the tours offered by the ship.
In the pathetically short time (hours shown as below) we are in each city your opinions on must see's, how to's, cafe's, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The cruise will be during the first 12 days of July on Celebrity Century out of Amsterdam. (We are pre-extending in A'Dam for several days to revisit one of our favorite cities.)

Copenhagen 0700 - 1600
Stockholm 0900 - 1700
Helsinki 1000 - 1800
Tallinn 0700 - 1400
Oslo 1300 - 1900

Please don't berate me for doing this as a cruise instead of on our own.
That was not an option. You can of course feel sorry for me, but that won't help me see some nice things while we're in each port, which is what I'm hoping to get here.(Lots of walking is not good.) Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, as always.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM

Have been on a simillar cruise but couldn't begin to advise!! Check out cruisecritic.com as a starter. I've picked up lots of valuable information there.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM

The destination section of this website has one day itineraries for lots of cites, which are a good place to start.

We also found Rick Steves' book, Sacndinavia, to be very helpful in planning walking tours.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM

I should have given two pieces of advice: 1) be sure to see the Vasa museum in Stockholm. 2) Be sure to eat open face sandwiches in Copenhagen.!! Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

Helsinki:

The Rock Church, the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, enjoy the market near the harbor.

Stockholm: Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan (old town)

Oslo: Kontiki, and other marine museums on Bygdoy.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM

Copenhagen: have lunch in Nyhavn (pronounced Newhown-sort of). Very cool part of town. I stayed there the end of last year, right after Christmas. Very lively in the summer. Old warhouses on the canal turned into restaurants and pubs. Would be a fun stop. I second the Vasa Museum in Stockholm..really interesting. Gamla Stan is cool. I stayed there. The Stockholm Cathedral is there, very interesting for a visit as is the Palace. I don't know if you'd have time to visit Skansen. I didn't go..too darn cold. It's an outdoor park. Has old houses and people dressed in period costume, artists and crafts people, doing things like they did many hundreds of years ago.