Reload this Page >

Hey Elvira -- group sale fares to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:37 AM
lisa

I just noticed that U.S. Airways has sale fares from all over the U.S. to Europe through May 31 for groups of 10 or more & thought of the Loons. Phoenix is included in the sale.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Leslie

I also received notification from US Airways regarding group fares. As an FYI, the fare quotes are one way and don't include taxes. Some of the prices seem like good deals, others are not.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Sue

Leslie, I agree; the flights from PIT don't seem to be much better than I would expect otherwise. Seems like more hype than actual bargain.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Mel

I agree. Got the notice myself and, once realizing they're one way AND the taxes and charges can add as much as $120 dollars, they didn't seem very good. British Airways used to advertise like this--big letters about the prices, little letters about it being one way.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:25 AM
lisa

Gee, I think $400-$500 roundtrip to Europe for Memorial Day week is a good deal, especially from the west coast. Most of the sale fares I've seen so far end earlier in the spring.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Leslie

Lisa, from the west coast it's probably a good deal, if you can find 9 of your friends and family to join you. From the east coast (I fly out of Boston), there are no bargains for a group. For that matter, I can't even imagine traveling in a group of 10.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Rex

Little understood is that pretty much the ONLY way to get tickets for 10 or more is to get a group fare (through the "group desk") - - and they are typically quoted at some discount - - but frequently NOT the lowest fare that might exist on that route. There ARE certain privileges extended to groups, such as no need to pay all up front, and flexibility on the names pf the passengers up to 30 days before the travel.<BR><BR>I have used group fares quite a number of times.<BR><BR>And I am increasingly itchy to try to put together yet another group trip (France anyone?) for this fall.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:08 AM
elvira

It's a good fare IF everyone flies TOGETHER - so everyone has to fly on the same plane on the same days. It's midweek fare (no leaving Friday to come back 2 weeks later on Sunday). If I were part of a group that could follow those criteria, I'd call every airline and consolidator to negotiate a fare, and mention USAir's offer.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
ttt

to the top<BR>