Cruising Across the Atlantic

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Roger

Cruising Across the Atlantic

Today's plane crash seems to be an accident- engine fell off apparently. Also seems that a plane which has an engine fall off has been ineptly maintained. On top of this, TWA 800's demise over Long Island Sound has never been adequately explained. Ditto plane crashes over Colorado Springs and Pittsburgh over the past decade or so. Furthermore, the Bush Administration plans to continue with the Clinton Administration's policy of sweeping under the rug the suicide crash of an Egyptian plane a couple of years ago in deference to the USA's relations with the government of Egypt. Does the American airline industry deserve confidence? Will fast passenger liners or cruise ships begin plying the Atlantic on a larger scale? At current, how much does it cost to take a passenger liner across the Atlantic? How long does it take?

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:51 AM
xxx

Rog, when you consider the number of successfully completed flights and the number of live passengers delivered all over the world each day, you're safer flying than taking a shower. Cool it.

Nov 12th, 2001, 08:07 AM
yyy

Roger,
Titanic - Lusitania - Andrea Doria - Uboats
A plane goes down and 2-300 lives are be lost - a boat goes down and 4-5000 are lost.

Nov 12th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Roger

Since the Titanic (caused by criminal stupidity of Capt. Smith and Imlay, head of the line), few passenger liners have gone down. Worst scenario I can remember recently is the Swedish disaster in the Baltic but that was a ferry boat if I remember.

Nov 12th, 2001, 08:49 AM
XXX

Well, since I know how to swim and I don't know how to fly, I am with Roger.
I'd rather take a boat.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Roger

When you fly, you are absolutely dependent on others. I think Disraeli once said something like "there's lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics." Stats say that, per passenger mile, airplanes are the safest mode of transportation (except maybe walking). But I can't stand being totally dependent. I'm finished flying.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:17 AM
xxx

www.control_issues.com