Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cruises and itineraries in the Mediterranean (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cruises-and-itineraries-in-the-mediterranean-882823/)

SuzieQ1944 Mar 20th, 2011 12:46 PM

cruises and itineraries in the Mediterranean

Given the current situation in the countries in the Mediterranean, has anyone been notified of any changes in cruise itineraries? We are scheduled to stop in Turkey and Israel (in May) and are wondering if we will be told that it's not safe to go to these (or other) ports due to safety.

otherchelebi Mar 20th, 2011 02:30 PM

I doubt that either of these countries are next in line to be bombed by France, United States and England. But then you never know. -:)

SuzieQ1944 Mar 21st, 2011 06:13 AM

We are just wondering if the cruise lines will change/modify the itineraries - Not worried about the cruise being cancelled, just wondered if anyone has had their cruises in the Mediterranean have changed itineraries.

Mimar Mar 21st, 2011 08:18 AM

You might check at www.cruisecritic.com.

Dukey1 Mar 21st, 2011 08:27 AM

Royal Caribbean, for one, immediately changed their itineraries when the unrest in Egypt erupted and I suspect other lines did so as well.

Kristjan Mar 13th, 2014 04:46 PM

What is the name of an Italian comany which offers luxury cruises in the Mediterranean Sea? Do you have references about them?
I'm lokking forward to do 8-10 days curise trip in this area and I need ex travelers on this kind of ships.

Sassafrass Mar 13th, 2014 05:21 PM

Post questions related to cruise itineraries in the cruise forum here on Fodors or on cruisecritic.com where people who are currently booked or on cruises will know what is happening. Not as likely that people traveling through Europe by train and air will have cruise info.

Bamaman Mar 13th, 2014 05:24 PM

You should research cruises on VacationstoGo.com. Click on Cruise Regions and then Click on Mediterranean. Put in your desired dates of debarkation and click on Show me The Deals.
You could also filter your search by the destination port.
They're the largest cruise booking agency worldwide. We've used them on all of our cruises--two last year alone.

jan47ete Mar 14th, 2014 05:07 AM

We've been on cruises (Europe) where suddenly a strike is called, so no transportation, so ship goes somewhere else. Pireus/Athens we went to Crete. NCL just cancelled Tunisia so March 22 and April 12 pax will go to Palma. I'm on an Oct 25 trip and we will go nowhere-at sea.

Just depends on the situation.

suec1 Mar 14th, 2014 06:08 AM

Well despite O.'s remark about bombing, IMO Israel is always a roll of the dice - more going on there than malevolent super-powers. As for Egypt - the OP is not destined to go there - I think most lines cancelled that as a port stop quite awhile ago. Hopefully your cruise will go off as planned, if not I'm sure the cruise line will try to provide a pleasant option and may refund you a bit of $$$ for missed port. My personal opinion, if a port stop is an absolute MUST, it is probably better to do a land trip to that destination.

geetika Mar 14th, 2014 09:58 AM

I wouldn't be able to tell you about Israel but we're taking a Venice to Istanbul cruise in June combined with land tours at both ends. No talk at all either from the cruise line or on the Cruise Critic boards about any cancellation.