Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cruise Transfer fees (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cruise-transfer-fees-330763/)

jakeswife Mar 26th, 2008 12:10 PM

Cruise Transfer fees

We are booked for a medaterain cruise starting in Barcelona in September. We will be staying at the Hotel Diagonal 2 nites pryor to
sail date.
Looking on line we can book our own room for 2 people for $169.00. The travel agent is charging us $169.00 per person per night, $614.00 total . She says it covers gratuities and "tranfer fees". This seems steep to me, but she says we are being charged for the convenience of the cruise line taking responsibiliy to get us back to the boat with no hassle.
We are first timers, how difficult and expensive is it for us to book our own hotel and take responsibility to get to the boat on time? Thanks

Robert2533 Mar 26th, 2008 01:57 PM

I hate to say this, but it appears your travel agent isn't doing you any favors, plain and simple.

You don't mention which hotel, but If you can book your own room, then do it. Have the hotel order you a taxi, or find the nearest taxi stand. The trip to the port should be under 25 euros.

cruiseluv Mar 26th, 2008 02:31 PM

Hi jakeswife,

I never buy the so called "hotel packages" from the cruise lines. They usually are double what you would pay on your own, as you have found out.

The port is very close to the city. A cab from your hotel should be no more than 20-25 euros. There is no "hassle" to get a cab from the hotel to the port! Plus , with a cab you will not have to wait for the bus that the cruise line will provide for the transfer. You can go and board whenever you want.

kybourbon Mar 26th, 2008 02:43 PM

Without knowing the exact hotel (there are many with Diagonal in the name)it's hard to say which transportation is best. You can take the Aerobus from the airport for about 4€ per person to Placa Catalunya, but Diagonal is a very long street. You can take the metro to the port area which is a few minutes walk from the bottom of Las Ramblas (Diagonal is at the top-about 1 mile).

If you use the metros, be aware of your belongings on the trains and stairs/escalators. Distractions are the main tool of pickpocets.

NEDSIRELAND Mar 26th, 2008 02:44 PM

I've never heard of such a thing as "Cruise Transfer fees." Airport transfers on a package tour, yes, but the former sounds fishy to me.

You've already booked your cruise and, from what you say, you have a reservation at Hotel Diagonal: so, as Robert2533 and cruiseluv advise, just take a taxi to el Puerto a couple of hours before your scheduled sailing.

FainaAgain Mar 26th, 2008 03:22 PM

Neds, if you book either air or hotel through a cruise company, they "include" transfer: a shuttle from the airport or hotel to the pier.

In the US, you can get a shuttle from the airport to the cruise even if you buy your own air.

When I called the cruise company, they had a pre-fix price for a flight between 2 airports, doesn't matter which airline. Mine was $329. I got Southwest RT for around $100.

Jakes, I'm sure you can make your own reservations much cheaper then your agents tries to sell you to get commissions.

jakeswife Mar 26th, 2008 03:51 PM

Thanks for your help. Most of you asked what hotel. She has us booked @ the Hotel Diagonal on our invoice. Isn't that a hotel?
What hotel would you suggest that is not far from the port and on the las ramblas.
We have a whole day to explore before leaving port. We booked an extra night for this purpose.

cruiseluv Mar 26th, 2008 05:29 PM

Hi,

Is your hotel part of the Silken chain? If so, it gets decent reviews in Tripadvisor, but they say it's a bit out of the way.

I can recommend the Apsis Atrium Palace. It's a couple of blocks from Plaza de Catalunya( which is at the top of Las Ramblas). I stayed there a couple of years ago and will stay again next month at the end of our transatlantic cruise.

Check it out at :

http://www.hotel-atriumpalace.com/

I am paying a web rate of 138 euros.

What cruise are you on?

ParrotMom Mar 26th, 2008 06:54 PM

THAT IS WHY I HATE TRAVEL AGENTS!! The hotel can arrange a taxi to pick you up and take you to the port. We missed our connection in Barcelona and were able to take the Celebrity transfer frm the airport to the ship for $18.00 each

megdean May 15th, 2008 08:06 PM

For those of you who have cruised out of Barcelona, please comment: our flight from US lands in Barcelona at 9:10am the same day as ship departure. I think this is enough time to get on the ship that leaves around 5, but are we cutting this too close? Another option would get us there the day before, but we would need to take 3 plane changes (using frequent flyer miles.) Thanks.

cruiseluv May 16th, 2008 07:11 AM

hi megdean,

When I cruise I always try to arrive to Europe the day before. Having said that, if my choice was to take a flight with 3 changes the day prior, I would go with the option you currently have. Your lugagge would have a very high probability of not making it with 3 planes changes!

As mentioned before, the airport is not that far from the port, should not be more that 30 minutes.

Have a great cruise!

megdean May 16th, 2008 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We will go ahead with the original plan and arrive the morning of the cruise.