Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cruise tours moscow to st petersburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cruise-tours-moscow-to-st-petersburg-740886/)

heart Oct 4th, 2007 09:53 PM

cruise tours moscow to st petersburg

Considering 2008 tour with Vantage. Would appreciate comments pros/cons with this group. Also has anyone recently (2007) used other tour companies? For example, Vantage, Amadeus Waterways.
Should you book directly with these companies or go through a travel agent?

Underhill Oct 4th, 2007 10:13 PM

You might get more responses in the Cruise forum. I don't see any need not to book directly with the cruise companies, however.

Theresa Oct 6th, 2007 05:12 PM

I used Amadeus Waterways and wouldn't recommend using them. They had very little time in Moscow and the food was not very good.

I believe if you use Vantage or GCT - you must book with them. If you use Amadeus or Viking, you can book with whoever.

GCT and I believe Vantage use hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg and the others use the ship as the hotel. I would recommend using those lines who use hotels as the commute time back and fourth to the ship is very long.

I would recommend looking at CruiseCritic and their River Cruise section. There is a lot more info out there for them.

USNR Oct 6th, 2007 07:10 PM

Highly recommend Uniworld on the Waterways of the Czars (St. Petersburg/Moscow). Fine ship, excellent shore excursions included, good food and cabin, fine service. We felt well taken care of every step of the way.

gbs Oct 8th, 2007 05:24 PM

We just got back from a GCT trip from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Loved everything about the trip, the ship, the staff, our tour director, the food -- all was great. The only thing we weren't thrilled with was that we were in such a large group (196), and the fact we felt herded around. But I think to go to Russia, it's your best bet. We learned a lot and made great friends. Highly recommend Grand Circle.

CarolyninTexas Oct 19th, 2007 11:22 AM

Compare the brochures (or web sites)of GCT and Vantage closely. Vantage, though said to be the upscale of Oats and GCT, advertises a ship/river boat that does not sound that enticing to me. I am considering this trip and over analyze everything. The Vantage trip, I believe, puts you in a hotel, the Hilton I believe, in Moscow but leaves you on the boat in St. Pete. The boat itself uses phrases like "Maritime shower." Been there, done that in China. That means there is a drain in the floor and the shower is between the commode and the lavatory with a pull around curtain. It also says no TV and not much else. The room dimensions are also smaller. The GCT boat sounds much better to me and it puts you in hotels in Moscow and St. Pete. Just my thoughts. Let me know what y'all think.
Carolyn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------