Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cruise ship excursions on own in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cruise-ship-excursions-on-own-in-italy-219137/)

Al May 10th, 2002 07:05 PM

Cruise ship excursions on own in Italy

We will be cruising in Rome and Pisa next month. I have two questions. When the ship docks in Civatavecchia, I understand it is best to take the train to Rome (90 minutes), but can you walk from the ship to the train station in Civatavecchia?<BR><BR>Likewise, when the ship docks in Livorno, what is the best way to get from the ship to the leaning tower? Is there a train station near the leaning tower?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>al<BR>

Kris May 12th, 2002 06:30 PM

We were able to walk from the dock to the train station in Civitavecchia. I think it took us about 10 minutes. I've read that other people have taken cabs so it is possible that there is more than one docking place.

John May 13th, 2002 05:44 AM

When we docked in Civitaveechia we had to take a taxi - yes, there were closer berths for cruise ships, but my guess is it was still a twenty to thirty minute walk from what we saw. The train to Rome will depend on 1. where you are going 2. Local or express train. Termini, the last station, used for ancient Rome is an hour to an hour twenty minutes depending on local vs express. St. Pietro for the Vatican is 45 minutes to an hour fifteen.<BR><BR>The Livorno port is a taxi ride away from the train station. You can get off at Pisa for pictures and get back on with no extra charge. Florence is about an hour fifteen from Livorno. Everything you'd want to see in Florence is within easy walking distance of the train station. Don't forget to validate your train tickets at the yellow boxes on the platforms. The conductors check for those.

Ken May 13th, 2002 01:28 PM

One quick question about the train ticket. Can we buy round trip tickets to Rome and Florence? Thanks.

John May 14th, 2002 06:53 AM

Yes you can buy round trip tickets to both Pisa/Florence and Rome - for Rome, I'd get round trip to Termini, then, if you do the Vatican last, go to the St. Pietro stop and get on there - your ticket will be good.

ggrant May 14th, 2002 07:19 AM

Hello, it is definitely more of a 20 to 30 min. walk back to the ship. On our way out there was a bus to take us to the gate going out of ship terminal but on returning (with already aching feet from the day of touring) there was no bus so we walked the whole way. There were no taxis going either direction to take to train station. There were some taxis there but they would not take you on this small trip to train station, only interested in going further (like into Rome). We would have jumped at the chance to get a taxi to train station. We also used the St Pietro station going in and did the Vatican first in the day. We had a private tour guide meet us at the St. Pietro<BR>station and he guided us the whole day.

John May 14th, 2002 08:06 AM

If you're off the ship asap (7:00) the taxi drivers will take you to the train station because they can go that and still get back for one of those hour rides to Florence or Rome.

jim May 16th, 2002 11:20 PM

with regards to the train from the airpot to station termini... I found on the net that the "leonardo express" offers nonstop service to roma termini in 32 minutes? we are staying at the hotel quirinale on via nazionale 7 ... so my question is if I am reading this incorrectly? also, does anyone know what the appropriate cab fare should be? have heard horror stories...<BR><BR>thanks