Reload this Page >

New Years Day in London

Search

New Years Day in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 06:10 PM
Charles

New Years Day in London

I'm taking my 15 yo son to London for New Years. His high school team won the state championship, and his hope is to attend a Premier League Football match (or failing that, one of the lower division matches). I've heard that tickets are quite difficult to come by, and wonder if there are sources I should explore. Ae any of the London area teams more likely than others to have tickets available? What's the chances of finding tickets available at the stadium on match day? <BR>And aside from football, are there any other big events we should plan on for New Years Eve? <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Yeshi

I'll be in London for NYE too. Surely we'll hear from someone knowledgable about the football matches and the NYE celebrations in the city. Where will the Times Square type crowd be?

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 07:32 PM
ron

The big outdoor NYE gathering is in Trafalgar Square. The December issue of "In Britain" magazine indicates there is a "First Night" event in Greenwich. For New Years day it lists a parade in London, from Parliament Square to Berkely Square. Who or what is parading, I have no idea. The # to call is (020) 8566 8586. <BR> <BR>Regarding football, I hope you guys are looking into the Premiership and individual clubs websites (Chelsea FC, etc), while waiting for a knowledgeable person to show up here.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 03:46 AM
Elizabeth

Charles........The New Years Day Parade starts at 12:00 Noon......they have their own web site with parade route and all info you might need. I`m sure your son would enjoy this......the site is www.londonparade.co.uk.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Mike in London

Charles, <BR> <BR>Football tickets can be hard to get hold of for some games. To find out who is playing when go to www1.sky.com/sports/football/premier (if you have a problem accessing it this way go via www.skysports.com). This page lists all the Premier sides and gives info about them including their fixtures. <BR> <BR>The London clubs in the Premier League are:- Arsenal, Charlton, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham. Arsenal and Chelsea will be the hardest to obtain tickets for. All these clubs will have a web site giving ticket info. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, London has 4 sides in Division 1:- Fulham, Wimbledon, QPR & Crystal Palace. Fulham are currently top of the league and tickets are normally available, however, they have two big games at home on the 26th & 30th of Dec and will certainly require pre-booking. (www.fulhamfc.co.uk). For all the others in Division 1 you should be able to get tickets on the day. Crystal Palace would probably be the next best expereince for your son. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps <BR>Mike <BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 06:10 PM
Charles

Thanks for all the above. I think we'll try for Fulham on the 30th. <BR>We're also thinking of taking a day trip to Cambridge by train. I think there is an Air Museum nearby at Duxford, but don't know if there is any public transportation to and from there. <BR> <BR>Charles

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:29 AM
Nigel Doran

You can go to Trafalgar Square, but expect there to be lots of people, many of whom will be drunk and perhaps disorderly. I have never been, and never will go as it has a bit of a bad reputation. By all means, stroll the streets, but keep away from the mobs. You might even find the atmosphere a little threatening if you are not used to drunken young men and women and lots of them!