Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cruise from Ravenna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cruise-from-ravenna-1704324/)

Floridacouple Jan 18th, 2022 04:35 AM

Cruise from Ravenna

We'll be taking a Celebrity Cruise of the Adriatic leaving from Terminal Crociere Porto Corsini in Ravenna, Italy. I've been researching hotels in the area for the night before sailing and as yet not found one that mentions transportation to the terminal.

How difficult is it to travel on a sail date from Ravenna to the terminal? Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that provides shuttle service to the terminal?

As always, thanks for your advice.

thursdaysd Jan 18th, 2022 09:10 AM

Can't help with the cruise, but do allow a full day for the mosaics in Ravenna. I also really like Ferrara, a short train ride north.

Have you checked cruisecritic? there's been a lot of chatter about cruises starting from Ravenna and other substitutes for Venice.

Floridacouple Jan 18th, 2022 09:43 AM

Thanks. Will check out cruise critic. We are going to stay in Ferrara and Ravenna to enjoy both before/after the cruise

neckervd Jan 18th, 2022 09:46 AM

Ravenna isn't a big cruis port. Your vessel will most probably be the only cruise ship in the port. Any hotel reception will be glad to book you a taxi for the transfer.
As above: the byzantine mosaics at Ravenna and nearby Classe are among the best "golden" mosaics of the world

thursdaysd Jan 18th, 2022 10:04 AM

I've visited Ferrara and Ravenna twice, this is from my first visit in 2004:

"Ravenna has sights, Ferrara is a sight - a town that hosts tourists without becoming touristy - no little tourist train, no sightseeing bus, no visiting coaches - a place to kick back and imagine being an Italian without worrying about being run over by a herd of homo turisticus groupus (a subspecies that has been causing me considerable grief). The almost intact nine kilometer circuit of medieval walls still encloses the core of the town, the Este's castle-palace still stands four-square within its moat, and the narrow streets of the former Jewish quarter still enchant, with some houses built literally across the street on arches. Arches - arches are everywhere in Ferrara, along with shady arcades. So are bicycles, ridden by the locals around their very flat town. My B&B, the Borgonuovo, was also admirable, with helpful owners and homemade goodies for breakfast. I was sorry to leave."

I stayed in the same B&B in 2015, and added some worthwhile museums to the castle and cathedral. B&B - Benvenuti

annw Jan 21st, 2022 09:35 AM

I would probably stay in the antique center of Ravenna to enjoy the passagiata, the aperitivo with snacks, the piazza del popolo, the atmosphere--a couple are Albergo Capello (with a nice restaurant downstairs) and Centrale Byron (moderate in price and charm), or a short walk from the center at Palazzo Bezzi, Great food and drink in Ravenna. I've stayed in Ravenna at least five times for week-long mosaic courses and it's one of my favorite towns in Italy. Less charm outside the vicinity of the center, though. As said above, taxi is your best bet. Definitely stay in/near center as outlying areas are far less attractive with the exception of Sant' Appolinare in Classe (gorgeous mosaics here).