Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crowne Plaza Roma - Crowne Plaza St Peters??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crowne-plaza-roma-crowne-plaza-st-peters-708481/)

Lordy May 28th, 2007 03:45 AM

Crowne Plaza Roma - Crowne Plaza St Peters???

Hi there,
I am becoming a little confused. Are these 2 properties the same??? ( name change )
Has anyone stayed at the hotel recently?
I realize that the hotel is a little way out from most of the attractions.
What are your thoughts?
I am having trouble working out where to stay in Rome. We will be there from the 25th of September for 4 nights.
Thanks in advance
Donna

wrrllw May 28th, 2007 04:03 AM

I think there's only one - the Crowne Plaza Rome St Peter's, for which the address is VIA AURELIA ANTICA 415
ROME, 00165. I stayed there two summers ago after a cruise, and liked the hotel. It's quite "American", i.e it has large rooms which can offer two double beds (uncommon in Italy). And the pool area is great. I never ate in the hotel (we only took breakfast, which was fine). The only "down side" is that it's some distance out to the west of Rome (actually quite a way out west); not a big deal for us, as our party of three were happy to take taxis into and out of the city centre (15 euros each way?), or to other areas to eat. But it could add unwanted cost to your stay. There is the option to get a local bus a few stops and then pick up the Metro into Rome, which we did a few times, but after a couple of trips we decided it was quicker and more convenient to get a taxi.

Lordy May 28th, 2007 04:14 AM

Hi wrrllw,
I was starting to get confused. Thanks for setting me straight. We have only been to Rome for 1 day. ( on a cruise ).
We got a bus from the port to the Vatican. It was then at your own leisure and we used a cab to get around.
This time we will be staying for 4 nights.
Did you go the restaurant nearby?
Was the traffic unbearable?
Did tours leave from this hotel?
I don't think we will mind spending the extra on a cab.
Would you stay here again?
Thanks again for your help
Donna

nbujic May 28th, 2007 05:45 AM

We were bumped from our flight and stayed in the hotel for one night. It was very comfortable and quiet . There was a shuttle bus to town ( this was 4 years ago) but there was not much of anything around the hotel.
I would stay in town rather than go back and forth a few times a day..

nbujic May 28th, 2007 06:03 AM

sorry, i mean I would not book this hotel with so many right in town.
I also remember that the road around the hotel had no sidewalk, so there was no place to go for a walk.

Lordy May 29th, 2007 03:03 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.
Donna

wrrllw May 30th, 2007 12:29 PM

We didn't eat nearby the Crowne Plaza; its location is "suburban" rather than "tourist centre". We took cabs into Rome city centre, or down to Trastavere; both journeys were about 15 euros each way, I think. Would I stay there again? Yes - having the garden area and the really great pool to hang out by for a morning or an afternoon was a big plus. Rome is a great place, but it's nice to have a haven, and this was one. And the rooms were good too. If I were going to Rome for a two night/three day thrash round the main sights, I'd stay in town; for a more leisurely stay, with a mix of rest/relaxation interspersed with shopping & sightseeing, stayign out of town at the Crowne Plaza worked for us (a party of 2 adults and one teenage girl). Princess Cruises did run tours out of the hotel, I remember, and whilst we didn't book our stay via them, their agents said they'd have let us join in if there was space...

Grandma May 30th, 2007 03:32 PM

I've stayed there. (And have been to Rome several times.) If this is your first trip.... find something more central. The hotel is nice but not convenient to sightseeing. (We only stayed there as part of a cruise package.)

Lordy Jun 3rd, 2007 03:16 AM

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.
We are from Australia and are used to staying in large hotwls. The more I look, the more I become confused. That is why we liked the idea of the Crown Plaza. Still to make up my mind .
Like the idea of having a pool and nice gardens. What did you think of he nearby restaurant?
We wouldn't mind catching a taxi around the place.
Thanks again
Donna