Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crowds in England (York) in June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crowds-in-england-york-in-june-188687/)

scottvan Jan 4th, 2005 08:16 AM

Crowds in England (York) in June?

I always read about potential crowds of tourists in England in July/August, and I know things generally aren't crowded in Feb/Mar/Apr, but what about June? In the York area, would I expect to find crowds only marginally smaller than in July/August, or would I find things relatively deserted?

Any advice appreciated -- I may have an opportunity to visit that area in June, and this will help with my decision.

janis Jan 4th, 2005 08:23 AM

Most Americans think June is high season in the UK and Europe just like back home. But since most European kids don't get out of school until early to mid-July, June is not nearly as crowded and is considered part of "shoulder season".

Now, if there is a special event going on like a booksellers convention or some such you could run into crowds in specific areas. But the rush doesn't really start until the middle of July.

June is a GREAT time to vist - loooooong days, fewer crowds, and sometimes better weather than later in the summer.

flanneruk Jan 4th, 2005 09:09 AM

This may well be the best June ever to visit York.

The racecourse at Ascot is currently closed while its stands get rebuilt. So this year's main Royal Ascot meeting will be held at York Racecourse from June 14-18. All the usual stuff - the daily dcarriage ride of Her Maj and chums down the course, the military bands, the preposterous hats in the posh seats, - will move to York. Just like in "My Fair Lady"

But so will all the fun of the Silver Ring, where you get just as good a view, but on the evidence of the 2004 meeting, with an audience rather better at holding their booze than the City Slickers and their Essex Girl floozies who fill the grandstand.

Royal Ascot can't altogether be described as stylish these days. But it's great (I once tripped, half-pissed, over Princess Di there). The only slight question mark over the York event is that normally the bling-bling crowd in the North of England show off their £2000 dresses at the Liverpool Grand National Meeting in March: York may be a bit far for all those footballers' wives to traipse across to.

But if you're anywhere near the North of England, you have to go and see it. More details at www.yorkracecourse.co.uk/morenews.asp?id=64

P_M Jan 4th, 2005 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info, I look forward to visiting York in June also.

Kayb95 Jan 4th, 2005 10:29 AM

We normally go to England the last week of June thru the first week in July. We spend the first week in London and the second somewhere outside of London. We've found the crowds to be fine - not nearly as bad as we would have thought.

Morgana Jan 4th, 2005 11:59 PM

Hi, I live near York.
A lot of the crowd issue depends on what sort of places you will visit. My daughter finishes school w/c 18th July, and most schools will finish around this time. Places like the Jorvik Centre, Railway Museum will be much busier after the children have broken up. Other places will be reasonably busy in June but not overly so. I'd recommend it as a very good time to see Yorkshire.
Weekends are always much busier, especially if the sun shines (yes, it sometimes does in North Yorkshire!!). If you visit somewhere like Fountains Abbey on a weekday in June as soon as it opens you will practically have the place to yourself, and it really is a magical place.
One other thing - the last week of May/very beginning of June is Whit half term week and therefore busy. The children return to school on the 6th June so plan your visit anytime after this.
M

adamhornets Jan 5th, 2005 07:55 AM

Flanneruk may have lost his/her? shirt but the races are a lot of fun. Just one problem - try finding a room at that time. I would not be surprised to find even the smallest B&B fully booked then so avoid June 13 to 19 and go after june 6 and you will have a wonderful time. I have to say that I visit the city throughout the year and it's always busy even in the middle of winter but never THAT crowded except in July and August and even then one can always find places to escape the crowds.
Good luck and don't miss The Railway Museum and the Castle Museum - two of the best in the whole country!

Adam C

scottvan Jan 7th, 2005 07:47 AM

Thanks to all who replied; your advice helped me decide to visit York in June and also helped me narrow down the range of dates for my visit.

Happy Travels!

obxgirl Jan 7th, 2005 11:50 AM

scottvan, Our last family trip to England was in June and it included a journey to York. Am agreeing with others above the crowds were not an issue. Hope you have a great time.

>Most Americans think June is high season in the UK and Europe just like back home.<

This is an odd generalization and I think untrue on both counts.

janis Jan 7th, 2005 02:37 PM

obxgirl - what I meant is that most American schools close in early June or even late May and many Americans figure summer, and therefore high season, starts when the kids are out.

June is still shoulder season for most transatlantic fares -- and that surprises a lot of Americans that I know.

obxgirl Jan 7th, 2005 04:21 PM

janis, I understood your point and disagree with you that many (downgraded from "most" in your first message) Americans figure that the rest of the world operates on the same vacation schedule that the US does. That may be your experience as a teacher of neophyte travellers but it isn't mine as a member of the general population.

Regarding airfares. I've been doing some research for a June trip. Right now, prices on AA, BA, and most VS flights are the virtually the same June thru August. May appears to be the new shoulder season. I know it's a bit early to be shopping but perhaps that's further justification for NOT making blanket generalizations about How Things Work and What Americans Think.