Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crowded Paris in March? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crowded-paris-in-march-56445/)

Patty Stampf Nov 10th, 1999 04:23 AM

Crowded Paris in March?

My husband and I decided to go to Paris in early March to avoid the huge crowds in Spring/Summer. So far, I have contacted six hotels (d'Aubusson, Jeu de Paume, Duc de St Simond, Prince de conti etc. that are fully booked due to the First Vision Exhibition (fashion show)- anyone familar with it? I already booked the tickets and did find a hotel but am I in for crowds and booked restaurants? Advice please and if anyone has ever stayed at Au Manoir Saint Germain des Pre?..... <BR>Thanks <BR>Patty

Svetlana Nov 10th, 1999 05:32 AM

Patty, <BR>I too have booked a trip for March of next year and was told about the fashion shows. But what I've been told is that Paris is always crowded, but in March, the difference is that the crowds will not be tourists. So hopefully if their theory is correct, the city may be somewhat crowded, but the landmarks and tourist attractions won't be anywhere near as crowded as in June.

Carol Nov 10th, 1999 05:37 AM

Hi Patty: <BR> <BR>I too don't think you'll have problems with sightseeing crowds, but I do think the top and trendiest restaurants will be booked solid by the fashion crowd. You might think about doing lunch at the ones you can't book for dinner.

Jeff Nov 28th, 1999 06:57 PM

I will be staying at the Manoir de St Germain des Pres in December. If you email me then, I can let you know how it was. <BR> <BR>JB

Erin Nov 29th, 1999 06:45 AM

Paris is like New York City...it is always full of tourists. If you are going to the major sightseeing spots, you will encounter crowds and long lines.

Janet Nov 29th, 1999 09:13 AM

Patty--I was in Paris in mid March 1998 and the end of June 1999. There is no comparison regarding the crowds. June was MUCH worse. But the line at the Louvre was the same length both times. However, according to posts in this forum, there are other quicker ways to get into the Louvre (search under Louvre and/or museum pass). We enjoyed our visit in March much more than the one in June.

Lori Nov 29th, 1999 10:20 AM

As a follow up to the prior post, if you have the museum card you enter the Louvre through a different entrance - not through the pyramid. There is generally no line, while the main entrance line can extend for 45 minutes.

mary Nov 30th, 1999 07:22 AM

I was in Paris last March. I found the crowds at the tourist attractions to be better the earlier I arrived. Go to the Louvre first thing in the morning. I got there just before it opened, did not have to wait to get in, and had great viewing of the masterpieces that the crowds flock to. But later in the morning it was wall to wall people. I had already seen what I wanted to see, and moved on to other things, like shopping and eating.

Jeff Jan 12th, 2000 08:53 PM

I stayed at the Manoir de St Germain the week before Christmas. It was very nice, great location (right next door to Brasserie Lipp), very nice and helpful staff. Breakfast was included and was also very good. We had one of the larger rooms overlooking St. Germain and it was also quite soundproof.