Crotia and Slovenia

Oct 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Crotia and Slovenia

We are planning a Crotia & Slevenia tip in May 2008. There will be 4 of us (2 from Colorado and 2 from Australia) We are thinking of the itinerary that Rick Steves recommends:
Arv. Day 1 Lujbljana -sleep Lake Bled
Day 2 Lake Bled sleep Lake Bled
Day 3 Pick up car- Julian Alps sleep Ljubljana
Day 4 Ljubjana sleeep Ljubljana
Day 5 drive through Karst and Piran to Rovinj sleep Rovinj
Day 6 tour istria sleep Rovinj
Day 7 drive to plitvide lakes via istria hill towns sleep Plitvice
Day 8 hike the lakes, drive to split and drop car
day 9 split sleep split
day 10 to Hvar or Korcula Sleep eith
Relax on Hvar or Korcula
Day 12- Day 16 to Dubrovnik Explore Dubrovnik and do day trip to Montenegro and Mostar

We have one more day that we can add some where.
Questions:
1. How do we get to Hvar, it looks llike the ferry only runs between June and Sept.
2. How do we get from Hvar to Dubrovnik?
3. Would you rent a car to travel to Montenegro and would you overnite there or do as a daytrip?
4. Mostar- Is it best to drive there and again as a day trip or overnite?
5.We
Day 6 tour Istria
Oct 6th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

I am new to this. I have reposted this with Croatia spelled correctly. I don't know how to delete this posting.Any help would be appreciated.
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I think I can answer #1 & 2. Go to this website and insert your departure port "Split" and arrival port "Hvar" then right arrow until you get to the month of March, insert your date. Chances are there are only 3-4 sails per week. You need to do a little planning to get on the sailing day.

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1304

From Hvar to Dubrovnik, you go to Sucuraj (Hvar) catch the ferry for a short sail to Drvenik then drive south to Dubrovnik. Do the same with your schedule by insert your departure port "Sucuraj" and arrival Port "Drvenik" when you leave Hvar.

From Drvenik you just drive down to Dubrovnik.

We plan to stay one night in Mostar.

You can read many Croatia & Slovenia trip reports just by clicking "Croatia" on the right corner and do the search. Many good ideas there.
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM

I just checked your schedule from Split to Hvar, in March 2008 there are only 2 sails per week on Thursday and Friday at 15,00 pm. They are several ferry crossings between Sucuraj and Drvenik every day of the week.
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Regarding getting to Hvar, I'm no expert on the ferry schedules, but I can tell you that we really loved Hvar when we visited.

Regarding Montenegro, if you decide to rent a car, ask before you rent, because not all the rental companies allow their cars into Montenegro. The reason is insurance problems due to the bad relations between Croatia and Montenegro. If you want to go just for one day, there are bus tours available.

Regarding the itinerary, here are 2 links to pages on our 2 trips to Croatia, one of which included Slovenia. Hope they can help you in your planning.

(Croatia & Slovenia in October, 2006)
http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/slovenia.htm

(Croatia only in July 2003)
http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/croatia.htm

Oct 7th, 2007, 05:51 PM

1. http://www.viamare.com/ try this link for your ferry bits as they have all the shipping lines covered. Frequent ferry trips to Hvar as we were there in May this year.Can go to Starigrad and get bus for 30 mins from the terminal to Hvar if direct not on to suit
2. Dubrovnik possibilities of 2 good routes...either the ferry which stops over in korcular (was I think Tues and Sat )on way or do as we did by getting the ferry back to Split then getting the bus. The bus trip Split/Dubrov was possibly the best trip in Europe I have had on bus ( got to travel by bus in Croatia as zero alcohol tolerance )numerous stops to stock up on food and drink along the way. secret is to get on the right hand side only when booking as near to the front as poss.
3.Not worth getting your own car as the tour out of the Info Centre at Dubrovnik is a full day trip and takes in everything.
4. Same for Mostar
We are Mooloolaba Oz and have been to Europe many times but nothing beats the trip from Trieste down the seafront and all parts of Dalmatian Coast.
I can cut and paste relevant bits from copious travelogues that I send to varied souces.Request my email if you want any anecdotal pieces.
Oct 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM

We just returned --the car ferry runs daily from Split to Hvar at 9 and 11a.m. and returns from Hvar to Split at 2:30 and 5:30 p.m.. There are catamarans also but I don't know their schedule. The car ferry docks at Stari Gard port and a bus meets the ferry to take you to Hvar town. The car ferry takes about 2 hours. The catamarans take 1 hour.