Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crossing for Ireland to Northern Ireland and back again

Apr 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi there, in July, a few days after landing in Dublin we will be renting a vehicle to drive to Northern Ireland for 4 nights, then heading back to Dublin.
What should we expect when we arrive at the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland? We are travelling on Canadian passports, my husband, myself and our 21 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter.
How much time we include in our plans?

We are very familiar with crossing from Canada to USA and back again. Will the crossing in Ireland be similar?

Thank you,
Debbie
Apr 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Nothing, is the answer! There is no border control, you just drive through. You often aren't even aware you've crossed it until the road surface changes or road signs look different - shown with km in ROI, miles in the North.

Just let the rental company know you are going into the North. Usually there is no problem, unless you are going to drop off your car there, when you may be hit with one-way charge. Also fuel is cheaper in the Republic.
Apr 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM

It's exactly the same as when you cross a provincial border in Canada...I was going to say it's exactly the same as crossing a state line in the USA but there is a difference....in the USA in many cases when you cross a state line, at the first exit on the interstate you will often find a welcome centre with broc hures and sometimes even free little tid bits (of course the economy might dictate this is no longer the case); there is a new motorway between Dublin and Belfast and there isn't even a sign that I remember telling us we had crossed into the Republic of Ireland. As far as the US/Canada border, it is now one of the most bureacratic borders there is to cross thanks to the paranoia of so many US officials eager to show they don't treat the US/Canada border differently from the USA/Mexico border and be accused of racism.
May 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. This helps me plan our time requirements.

Debbie