Search

Cross all of Italy for 15 Euros

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross all of Italy for 15 Euros

That's right, you can cross all of Italy, from Milano in the North to Reggio di Calabria at the tip of the Boot in the South, in a comfortable, reclining FIRST CLASS RESERVED seat on a restyled fast Intercity train, for the miserly fare of 15 Euros!

What's the catch?

1. You must travel on a Saturday
2. You must reserve and purchase your seat in advance (up to 60 days in advance), and no later than the day before your date of travel. Look up "Il Sabato di Trenitalia" on the Trenitalia Italian language web site.
3. Seats are capacity controlled, so advance bookings are essential.
4. When first class seats at the promotional fare are sold out, there may be seats available at the same fare in second class.
5. "Normal" reserved first class fare is Euro 89.20, so the promotional fare represents a tremendous discount. This is the very best deal offered on Trenitalia.

IC train no. 589 departs Milano Centrale at 8:48 and arrives in Reggio di Calabria Centrale at 21:45.

Return train no. 588 departs Reggio at 9:05, arriving Milano at 22:15.

You can look up the complete itinerary and intermediate stops on the Trenitalia website, by clicking on the train number.

This train has "restyled" carriages, with open-railcar seating (3 across in 1st class, 4 across in 2nd class). No smoking anywhere on the train. There is self-service beverage and food service. Fully air conditioned.

www.trenitalia.com

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM
GAC
Original Poster

No Fodorites are interested in this super deal?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM

I am! Thanks for posting it.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
DAJ

GAC,

Thank you for pointing out this deal. I will be travellingon a Saturday and hope this is still in effect when I'll be going (4 of us in total), next May. I was suprised how pricey the tickets were from Rome to Venice. But this is great news.

Question: If still available at the appropriate time, will I have to call to reserve the tickets and pick them up at Termini?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM
rex

It's great that you posted it- - just as others have posted the nearly identical promotion in the past, when it has occurred.

And like a broken record - - I will point out that it is just one of the countless reasons NOT starting with the assumption that you should buy a "rail pass" from raileurope.com - - as part of your plan for intra-Europe transportation.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:08 AM
GAC
Original Poster

DAJ: you can purchase the tickets at the promotional rate through the trenitalia website, by registering. If you wait until your arrival in Italy, all seats at the promotional rate MAY have sold out.

Remember to research the promotional rates for "Il Sabato di Trenitalia", otherwise you'll get the standard rate.

Your credit card will be charged, and you will receive a confirmatory e-message with a reservation number. You then obtain a paper ticket at the ticket window of your departure station, by providing the reservation number to the ticket agent.

Remember that the Saturday promotional rate is 15 Euros for the Intercity train; and 30 Euros for the Eurostar Italia train, or any combination of Intercity and/or Eurostar Italia trains. The promotional fare is the same for both first and second class, so reserving early is worthwhile.

On the Rome to Venice route, you save 37.14 Euros per ticket (less than half price), based on the standard first class fare on the Eurostar Italia train (67.14 Euros).
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Nice to hear they've extended their Saturday deals, at even better prices than we experienced this summer. We were lucky to save a bundle as our three apartment rentals in a row were the usual Saturday to Saturday, so that became our day of travel from Salerno to Rome, Rome to Venice, and Venice to Chiusa. We just lucked out that way, not due to smart planning on our part.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:22 AM
GAC
Original Poster

UPDATE to my original posting:

Now that Trenitalia has introduced their "Freedom to Travel" promotional fares, you can take this direct Intercity train from Milano to Reggio di Calabria for 15 Euros in reserved first class ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, by reserving up to 60 days in advance, and requesting the promotion by name.