Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croissants/Pastries/Breakfast 6th Arrondissement (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croissants-pastries-breakfast-6th-arrondissement-1663859/)

ggraves21 Feb 18th, 2019 04:44 PM

Croissants/Pastries/Breakfast 6th Arrondissement

I would love any recommendations for shops to pick up pastries or similar breakfast items in the 6th. My family will be in an apartment on Rue Princesse and am hoping to utilize the kitchen for our breakfasts while still keeping it "Parisien style" Thanks in advance!

StCirq Feb 18th, 2019 06:45 PM

If you are trying to emulate an authentic Parisian lifestyle by renting an apartment, you do what Parisians or any French person anywhere does, go to the nearest neighborhood boulangerie and become a known quantity; you don't wander around checking out the various crusts or butter content of croissants in competing establishments. And French people don't eat pastries for breakfast, unless you consider a pain au chocolat a pastry. Learn the difference between a croissant au beurre and one without; with beurre is always better, but not for the waistline.

tomboy Feb 18th, 2019 06:46 PM

You can use Google Maps & Tripadvisor to make maps with little icons of whatever you want....restaurants, toilets, whatever. We made one two years ago with all the patisserieres in the 7th arondissement where we were staying. Another one for the boulangeries. A third for restaurants we wanted to try.
What wonderful technology!!!! Didn't exist 10 years ago. If only they'd had the translating earbuds back then, that they're bringing out now.

apersuader65 Feb 19th, 2019 06:42 AM

I would Google the Phrase "Boulangeries Rue Princess Paris". Use the map that comes up to view the listed boulangeries. You can change it to patisserie if you choose as well.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

kerouac Feb 19th, 2019 07:19 AM

The nearest boulangerie is the one you want, except for the day of the week when it is closed and you will go to the second closest.

It is interesting to note that breakfast pastries -- which are officially "viennoiseries" -- (croissants, pains au chocolat, pains aux raisins, brioches, etc.) and dessert pastries (éclairs, mille-feuilles, tarts, etc.) are totally different things and it is extremely rare for the same establishment to make both of them well. They are good at one or good at the other. You have to hunt around a bit to find exactly what suits you.

denisea Feb 22nd, 2019 09:22 AM

Gerard Mulot was always my fav in that area for my daily pain au chocolat. 76, rue de Seine 75006
You might also run to Poilane--they have these wonderful apple pastries, kind of like a turnover but better. 8 rue du Cherche Midi, 75006 Comptoir Poilane (next door) serves great little breakfasts and lunch, also.

If you just want to have a great little breakfast in a cafe nearby we love Le Bonaparte.

kerouac Feb 22nd, 2019 10:10 AM

Actually, if you want to eat a traditional French breakfast, you will only buy a baguette, with which you will make tartines with butter and confiture. Breakfast cereals are appreciated by children, and there are also breakfast biscuits for people in a hurry. Hot drinks are still whatever anybody prefers. Viennoiseries are for weekends and usually only on Sunday.

Now you know what "le style parisien" really is, and I'm sure you have already decided that it is not what you really want.

sweetannie Feb 22nd, 2019 10:55 AM

Poilane! Enjoy.

Underhill Feb 23rd, 2019 08:37 AM

We liked Paul's; my husband is a huge fan of the hot chocolate there, as well as the pains au chocolat. I like the croissants.

kerouac Feb 23rd, 2019 09:25 AM

Paul is a good brand, but it should be pointed out that very few of them are a "boulangerie" -- look at what is marked on the front of the shop. Only a place that actually bakes its products is allowed to use the word boulangerie. All of the things from Paul come from a factory, albeit a good one.

denisea Feb 23rd, 2019 09:58 AM

Agree on the tartine...my favorite thing to get for breakfast at LeBonaparte! @ggraves - break all the rules about a Parisian breakfast and sample all the pastries you want. You're on vacation!

bella9440 Feb 24th, 2019 07:38 AM

exactly denisea.. I never eat bread or pastries for breakfast except when I am on vacation... Paris is a great place to sample everything..When I stay in Paris I find the local boulangerie for bread and a place for my pastries, and enjoy it with my coffee while planning my day...great way to start a vacation day.. I can eat my oatmeal the other 355 days of the year...Sample and try many different places it is part of the fun..

LancasterLad Feb 25th, 2019 02:44 AM

During my 4 years in Paris, only Sunday's petit déjeuner was the one to abuse my waistline with flaky buttery pastries.

kerouac Feb 25th, 2019 04:38 AM

Those of you buying pastries in addition to viennoiseries in the morning, don't do it too early. The pastries of the day are usually ready by mid-morning. If you buy pastry too early, it risks being from yesterday. No problem for the viennoiseries, though -- they are fresh out of the oven the moment the boulangerie opens.

Iwan2go Feb 25th, 2019 06:07 PM

Someone recommended Carton, on the rue de Buci, to us and we loved their pastries! I don’t think it’s too far. We’re planning a night’s stop in April and I plan to make a return visit - especially for their almond reakfast pastries. They are AMAZING.

vinonobile987 Feb 26th, 2019 12:16 PM

Not a boulangerie, but if you try pastries at the Pierre Herme across the street from the St.Sulpice Church, you might decide to stay in Paris forever. And their ice cream is unbelievable.

https://www.pierreherme.com/

starrs Apr 6th, 2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by denisea (Post 16878021)
Agree on the tartine...my favorite thing to get for breakfast at LeBonaparte! @ggraves - break all the rules about a Parisian breakfast and sample all the pastries you want. You're on vacation!

denisea, I'm "stalking" you in order to get restaurant recommendations - and the first post I find is my favorite restaurant!

I'll continue to follow you for more. :-)
In particular, I'm looking for restaurants near La Madeleine.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 6th, 2019 08:06 PM

Pain Perdu at Maison Sauvage on rue de Buci?

I would have my breakfast at Cafe Marly @Louvre.

Thin🐩

denisea Apr 7th, 2019 02:09 AM

I agree with pepper - we had breakfast one Christmas AM at Cafe Marly and sat outside overlooking the glass pyramid at the Louvre. What a view.

Take a look at Verjus - terrific food and well priced prix fixe menu. The wine bar downstairs is lovely.

Also, take a look at Goumard for seafood. It is right by the Madeleine church.
We had an impromptu lunch at Fauchon on the sidewalk - we purchased a terrific platter of cheese and added Champagne (and did not even come close to finishing the cheese). One of our favorite lunches ever. We also love the bar in the Le Grand Hotel Intercontinental. The cafe there isn't in expensive but overlooks Opera Garnier and it's quite a view (Cafe de la Paix).

starrs Apr 7th, 2019 03:12 AM

Thank you!