croatian cuisine

Apr 25th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

croatian cuisine

We're going to Croatia in late May and though on a tour, most meals will be on our own. Any advice about what's really good would be appreciated. None of the four of us are picky eaters. Thanks.
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM

prust (air dried, smoked ham), marinated anchovies, grilled fish (a whole fish can be expensive but they should have fillets), girice (small fried fish), seafood salads of all sorts

I tried their lobster - not bad, a tad dry due to the grilling.

regarding fish - there is 1st class and 2nd class fish, difference mainly in firmness, flavor and price
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM

My favorite foods in Croatia are:

1) Cevapcici (ground meat - like hamburger - mixed with spices and grilled - kind of like elongated meatballs).

2) Burek - either filled with meat or cheese (maybe other stuff, can't remember), similar to spinach pie (that's not the best description, sorry)

3) Sarma - Croatian cabbage rolls
Apr 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I agree with the previous posts. I have been to Croatia twice, and am returning in 2 weeks. The fish there is great, especially the fresh water fish. Just know that they serve the whole fish, head and all. But the best fish I've had. Lamb shish kabobs are also good.
Try the Turkish kava (coffee). Also, there is an alcoholic drink made from pears called Kruskvats that is delicious. Have a great time.
Apr 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM

....and then there's pizza everywhere too...
Apr 25th, 2005, 02:19 PM

...and don't forget the ice cream / gelato ! Its everywhere and so cheap too (3,4 or 5 kuna a scoop) It's displayed very attractively and you can have upto 4 towering scoops on a cone. Any more than that and eating it becomes an acrobatic feat.

I loved the cevapcici too. They are like BBQ'd fingers of spiced ground beef and are usualy served with a red pepper sauce. 8-12 per serving with a green salad and fries.

And of course, whole fresh fish, simply grilled on coals and served squirted with lemon.
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Mathieu, Did you ever do a Croatia trip report? I've never seen it.
Apr 26th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Hi Grasshopper,

That guy you see over there, standing in the corner with his head hanging shamefacedly, is me !

I am so near to finishing it but haven't quite yet. Life just seem to get in the way of everything... I promise to have have it out soon as it may be useful to others planning to go to that wonderful country, and especially since my very own trip was the result of your own boundless enthusiasm of Croatia (and others), as I acknowledge in the opening paragraph.

It was turning into a blog, so I had to cut it down to size for FODORS and will post the more detailed version seperately. So stay tuned, and thank you for asking.

My next trip will be to Jordan, Cairo and a return to Budapest.
Apr 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Wow, that sounds exciting. I will be interested to hear about Cairo. I've wanted to go there but am a big chicken. If you feel like emailing your blog address, I'd love to see it. [email protected]
Apr 26th, 2005, 07:08 AM

You aren't getting a lot of variety in your answers because quite frankly there's not a lot of variety in Croatian cuisine. Of all the wonderful things in that country, I don't count their approach to food one of them. Sorry, but as Edith Ann always said, "And that's the truth."
Apr 26th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Croatian food has a variety of influences because of its complex history: Austrian, Italian, Turkish. On the coast, the food is more Italian, and there's lots of fish, of course. The ham is called "Pršut" ("prosciutto" in Italian). You'll find pasta and pizze, but also schnitzels ("odrezak").
Apr 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to all who took the time to answer. This gives us a good idea of what to expect. Just a month away, we're all getting excited. Thanks again, Geri
May 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM

My mouth waters when I think about the fabulous grilled squid that I ate many times during my 2 weeks in Croatia last May! it is simple and delish!

You must also try the Pag cheese.

I agree that the burek is a tasty snack that you can find in many stands.

You will also be able to indulge in huge platters of fried calamari or mussels for a fraction of what it would cost in the US.

I found the food to be very good!