Croatia trip in late March/early April

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia trip in late March/early April

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) are flying into/out of Dubrovnik in late March/early April 2018. We were thinking of staying 2 nights in Dubrovnik, then perhaps driving to Split and staying there maybe 5 nights with some day trips to the national park and Trojic, etc. Then taking a ferry to Hvar or Brac for a few nights. Then back to Dubrovnik for the last 2 nights. Not sure how to best travel between say Hvar and Dubrovnik since the ferries may not run during this season? Any suggestions? Are there private boats that you can hire someone to take you. Or would we be stuck taking a ferry back to the mainland and bus or rent a car? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 08:46 PM
kja

Have you looked into options for flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split or vice versa? Use the “multi-city”option on flight search engines. Flights into one city and out of another – also known as open jaw flights – are rarely much more expensive, particularly when you consider the additional cost in time and money to backtrack.

I’m not sure which National Park you mean – there are two within easy reach of Split, the Plitvice Lakes and Krka. Both are delightful; the Plitvice Lakes are spectacular.

And I assume you mean Trogir, not Trojic?

Many ferries run at that time of year, just at a reduced frequency in comparison to high season. No need to hire a private boat. You can check public transportation options at rome2rio.com – just be sure to follow through on the links to which it directs you, as the main site is not sensitive to seasonal variation.

Personally, I wouldn’t drive in southern Dalmatia – the scenery is stunning, but the driver doesn’t get to fully appreciate it, as the roads demands attention. In contrast, buses are comfortable and convenient, IME. JMO.

If you don’t already have it, I strongly recommend that you get a good guidebook or two, perhaps the Rough Guide. The cost will be nominal in comparison to the cost of your trip, you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips, and you will have ready answers to questions you won’t even know to ask.

Hope that hleps!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:41 AM

You told us that you will have a car. In this case you may use the car ferries Split - Starigrad and Sucuraj - Drvenik. These ferries will run all the year round.
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/sailing...cal-lines-2018