Search

Croatia/Slovenia itinerary assistance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia/Slovenia itinerary assistance

Hello,
We are a family of 4, traveling to Croatia and Slovenia in approximately late June/early July. Our kids are 12 and 14, and have traveled internationally with us since they were 5 & 7, so they are used to the demands (and fun) of travel. We will be renting a car separately in each country to avoid the drop off fees we’ve heard about.

Does this itinerary seem too rushed and crazy? We usually stay at least 3 nights in one location, but since our destinations are closer together than in other countries we’ve visited, we are trying to cover more ground.

Where we are sleeping :
Day 1: Dubrovnik (we arrive mid to late afternoon)
Day 2 Dubrovnik
Day 3 Dubrovnik
Day 4 pick up car and drive to, sleep in, Mostar
Day 5 drive to Trogir
Day 6 visit Split but sleep in Trogir
Day 7, see more of Trogir/Split....no rush to Plitvice, just want to sleep there for early arrival to the park
Day 8 early arrival to the park, sleep in Plitvice
Day 9 drive to Rovinj, drop off car
Day 10 Rovinj
Day 11 private xfer to Portorož, pick up car, see Skocjan cave, drive to Kobarid
Day 12 drive through Triglav NP, via Vrsic Pass stopping along the way, sleep near Lake Bohinj
Day 13 drive to and sleep in Ljubljana, drop off car
Day 14 Ljubljana, fly out next morning of Day 15

Does Rovinj deserve more time? Maybe take the first night off Ljubljana? Take the second night off Plitvice and just head for Rovinj when we are done with the park? There’s so much to see and so little time, it’s been hard to make decisions. This itinerary doesn’t work in any islands, which would be nice, unless we take a day trip to Mjilet on our second day in Dubrovnik (Day 3). I also saw a video of the Logar valley in Slovenia that blew me away, I wish we could see that too. We are definitely limited to 14 nights. My husband thinks we will manage this pace just fine, because of the freedom the rental car allows. I’m less sure about that but I want to do and see everything on this itinerary too. Help! Thank you!
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 09:08 AM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be nice! The area is filled with delightful things to see and do, so IMO, one will necessarily skip a lot in a 2-week trip. But one can see some wonderful things with that time!

Rovinj itself doesn't take more than a day (if that); if you want to see any of the Istrian hill towns, you might want more time there -- but you would need a car for that.

It seems that you only have 1 day in Ljubljana, so I'm not sure you have much latitude for shortening your time there.

One night is generally enough for the Plitvice Lakes. Leaving when you are done would make sense, particularly if you can leave in time to drive to Rovinj before dark.

Enjoy!