Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017

Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 50 years old couple and 20-22 years old 2 daughters, from Mumbai, India.
We love road trips and have been to South Africa, France on a road trip last 2 years and almost to all the European countries in past 15 years.
We like scenic landscapes, quaint villages, charming small towns, some historic places (Not too much into museums), some off beat places along with the typical touristy places.
We rent villas or Apartments in most places.
Need help for Croatia- Slovenia- 30 days itinerary for our 2017 road trip.
Have based my itinerary roughly on Rick Steves itinerary.
Zagreb would be my entry and exit point for convenient flight connections.
Which is the right time of the year to visit?
May would be ideal.
My rough itinerary is
1. Zagreb
2. LJUBLJIANA
3. Lake Bled
4. Drive through Julian Alps
5. Piran
6. Rovinj

7. PLITVICE LAKES
8. Sibenik
9. Kraka waterfalls
10 Una waterfalls 9 Bosnia and H)
11. Split
12. Hvar
13. Krocula
14. Dubrovnik
15. Drive to KOTOR, MONTENEGRO
16. Drive back to Zagreb

Please suggest how to go about it.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM

Be sure to see the caves of Postojna
Not been to Croatia but the roads in Slovenia are excellent.
Enjoy.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 07:29 PM
kja

I would not drive from Kotor to Zagreb -- that would mean covering 600 or 700 kilometers that you already traversed in the opposite direction. Instead, look into flights, and try to include that leg when you book your departure from Zagreb so that you don't have to worry about claiming and then re-checking your luggage, etc.

If there is any chance that you will have jet lag, don't pick up your rental car until you've had a day or two to recover. Although many people don't realize it, mounting evidence indicates that driving with jet lag is as dangerous to yourself -- and others -- as driving drunk.

High season in many of these areas is roughly June through September; during that time, ferries run most frequently, just about everything will be open, and costs for renting will generally be higher and you may need to book well in advance if you have specific needs or interests in lodging. And you may encounter large crowds of tourists in some of these places (e.g., Hvar Town can be quite a party center and Dubrovnik can be inundated by cruise ship visitors during the day). During shoulder seasons (roughly May and Oct.), ferries will be a little less frequent (be sure you plan using the right schedules), there will be somewhat fewer other tourists, and most things will still be open. During low season, there will be fewer options for staying or dining in places that rely most heavily on tourism (especially Korcula, which I think basically shuts down off season, and even Dubrovnik); major cities and cities with universities will remain active and "open." Spring is usually the best time for waterfalls, as that's when you'll catch the winter snow melt.
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kja,Whathello.
Postojna caves look interesting. Similar to the one at Padirac, france that we visited last year. It's a great news that the roads are good.
Kja, I am in two minds, whether to go in may or June end. I missed the lavender bloom in Provence, France, by 15 days last year. Hvar has beautiful lavender fields. But June end may get very hot. Europe is unbearable during June, July, August; even for a person like me who comes from a hot and humid place like Mumbai, India.
May will have more pleasant weather, spring flowers and less tourists.
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I am trying for an Open Jaw ticket where I land at Ljubliana, Slovenia and fly out from Dubrovnik. As of now, it's showing as an expensive option and inconvenient connections. More troublesome is the fact that I cant rent a car in one country and drop it in another. Even if it is possible, it would turn out more expensive.
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM

I can speak for the Slovenia part

1. Zagreb
2. LJUBLJIANA
3. Lake Bled
4. Drive through Julian Alps
5. Piran
6. Rovinj

Ljubljana is such a great medium sized European City that I would just simply recommend spending at least few days there if not a week.
As we speak it is the green Capital of Europe for year 2016 and the entire city is buzzing with tourists and things to do.
There is always something happening, whether they put up a random giant waterslide in one of the city center's squares or they host a Theatrical acrobatic preformance over over the Ljubljanica river or...
I could talk about Ljubljana all day long...

Lake Bled is indeed a tourist attraction with its Castle and small island on the lake itself...however I very much recommend that if you go there...you go just little further and instead or ALSO visit lake Bohinj which is imo a lot nicer natural place... It also has tourists...and camps and such...but it is just so much more... natural and breathtaking in my personal opinion...so I would go and see that also since it is close by

Julian alps... I would drive exactly through them...but I would go into the direction of the biggest National park in the country which is where the Julian alps are.... TRIGLAVSKI NARODNI PARK
And before entering the park I would take a look at the beautiful nordic center of Planica... since well it is the biggest (or second biggest depending on how you look at it) hill jump in the world. The entire valley there is really a sight to see with a lot of things and activities for tourists to do. A days trip of worth for sure!

Then you say Piran, I am ok with that...but I will say that Piran is really small and depending on what you like and enjoy interesting... I would combine it with the visit of more "luxurious" Portorož just for the heck of it...

Postojna cave together with its castle is naturally a logical recommendiation.. Postojna cave was the first tourist like cave in the world and the Postojna Castle infront of the Cave which is the biggest precave castle in the world also has an interesting history and story with the guy who was taken out in the toilet...

Next to that Slovenia really has quite a number of places to visit, see with unique things to do and see.

If you are open to more suggestions just ask.

P.S.
I would suggest using google maps for traffic because of tourists crossing the country especially on the borders with Croatia, could help you a great deal

Hope I have been of some help

For more info, questions you can always write to me on [email protected]
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 04:15 PM
kja

As noted on your other post, the one on the parks, I would not try to use the same car for your time in Croatia and Slovenia. Return one car before crossing the border, take a train, pick up another.

If temperatures are of concern to you and you are considering May or June, then start in the south (Dubrovnik) and end in the north (Slovenia). You can check average temperatures on wunderground.com Consider open jaw into Dubrovnik and out of Ljubljiana.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Kja, thanks for the recommendation. Will try to book an open jaw ticket. Starting in Dubrovnik is a great idea, also because I like to start my meal with the dessert I will also ensure better climate as I go up north. The problem is that there are no car rental deals without a hefty pick up charge.
Plus we love the idea and convenience of dumping the bags in the car and moving with it everywhere.

I may rent a car from Zagreb airport n back.
Drive to Slovenia and back into Croatia.
Visit
7. PLITVICE LAKES
8. Sibenik
9. Kraka waterfalls
10 Una waterfalls 9 Bosnia and H

Then to Dubrovnik 3 oe 4 nights with a day trip in between to KOTOR, MONTENEGRO and back.

and then take a break at
12. Hvar
13. Krocula
11. Split
and then to Zagreb, to break the journey.
This may workout better and cost effective.

Blue San, thanks for your inputs. Would love to hear more from you. Am also sending you an email. But it will be a great information for everyone here.
Can you suggest a route, number of days at each location and which town/ village to stay at.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

I would like a feedback about a Deja vu feeling in some of the places like all the sea-side towns of

5. Piran
6. Rovinj
8. Sibenik
11. Split
12. Hvar
13. Krocula

May be similar in many aspects. Can someone help me choose in the order of preference, if I have to Choose 3 or 4 out of these 6.

Also about the lakes and waterfalls
7. PLITVICE LAKES
9. Kraka waterfalls
10 Una waterfalls 9 Bosnia and H
can someone suggest in the order of preference or give a personal Star rating to these places as well as to all the places mentioned.

This helps in deciding the "must see places, good to see and may be ok" places.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 06:21 PM

I would definitely go to Rovinj Split and Hvar. And Plitvice is a must.

You will get other opinions though. In the end you'll have to make choices. ��
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 10:01 PM
kja

As previously stated, it really depends on what YOU want to see and do.

I haven't been to Piran.
IMO, Rovinj, Sibenik, Split, Hvar, and Korcula are delightfully different in architecture and ambience -- but then, I treasure the opportunity to see the differences between places that are, in some ways, similar. YMMV.
I loved Split, but some others hate it.
I found Hvar Town way to upscale and party-hearty for my tastes; other people love it.

Re: the waterfalls, asked and answered on your other thread. The Plitvice Lakes National Part is, IMO, the single most unmissable place in Croatia. I haven't been to Una, so can say nothing other than I didn't feel the need to make it a priority.

As rialtogrl notes, YOU must make choices.
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 02:39 AM

Piran and Rovinj are similar. I would opt for whichever works better with your itinerary in terms of transport.

Try to arrange one rental car in Slovenia and another in Croatia, while using public transport between the two countries. It should make a one-way rental cheaper, as it'll be completely within a single country. The cross-border drop-off is makes a one-way rental between Slovenia and Dubrovnik expensive, not the mere distance. If you rent in Zagreb and drop off in Dubrovnik, the surcharge will be minimal, if there will even be one.
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM
kja

@ rtt0921: That is the obvious solution to the car rental issue, isn't it? I suggested it on the OP's other thread and then again on this one; I have no idea why he isn't considering it...
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 12:06 AM

Indeed. It sometimes works in the other direction, ie. renting in Croatia and returning in Slovenia, as you're never too far from Croatia, meaning shipping costs are lower. But Dubrovnik is so far from Slovenia that the shipping costs will be exorbitant. To put the geography in perspective, Milan, Munich and Vienna are all much closer to Ljubljana than Dubrovnik is.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rtt0921 nd kja,
Shall do some more research and come back for seeking advice.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM

For what it's worth, you wouldn't be the only one to visit those three national parks in one trip I'm gonna do the same in three weeks. Will let you know if I found it too much of the same. From what I read, they all have something that make them unique. Una is often skipped, but the peace and lack of tourists is attractive imo.

Must say that I will only visit Una on our way from Plitvice to Jajce, so will spend a good 4-5 hours and not stay there. I feel like if we overnight there then it might feel like too much waterfalls etc when we also want to be in the mountains.

We're doing:
2 nights Sibenik (1 day trip to Krka)
Drive to Plitvice via Zadar (which looks lovely)
2 nights Plitvice (we're hikers and want to get the most out of our visit)
Drive to Jajce via Una NP

I think if I were you I would change the order: Plitvice, then Una NP, then Sibenik/Krka, then Split. Otherwise you will do an awful lot of backtracking.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:07 PM
kja

@ FlyDriveHike: Interesting choices! I trust you realize that 2 nights in Sibenik, with a day trip to the Krka National Park, means that you will have almost no time for Sibenik itself. Perhaps that's intentional? And IMO, Zadar is at her best near sunset -- which, of course, you would be unlikely to see if visiting it en route to the Plitvice Lakes. And even if you forego sunset at Zadar, trying to visit it en route to the Plitvice Lakes leaves you little time to enjoy its highlights, but it really depends on what YOU want to see and experience....
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the tips!

Yes it's a bit intentional - we're strictly into nature/hiking. We do like to wander around interesting towns late afternoon / beginning of the evening though and really wanted to experience one of the coastal towns at night. We usually don't spend an entire day visiting historical sights etc. We were initially gonna stay at a b&b in the middle of nowhere with a pool but felt like experiencing at least one coastal town.

As for Zadar, we wanted to see something interesting en route to Plitvice. May consider taking the route via Knin if that would be more interesting than Zadar during day time. Would that be better?
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 04:36 PM
kja

@ FlyDriveHike: IMO, Zadar has much to offer, even if you miss the sunset -- actually, too much for the time you'll have, except that it sounds like the things I wanted to see (museums, churches, etc.) aren't high on your list of priorities. Be sure you know where you will park and how you will get to the places you want to see. Spending a bit of time walking around Zadar and seeing the Sea Organ could make for a very pleasant way to pass a few hours. I didn't visit Knin....
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

FlyDriveHike,
Thanks a lot for your tips.
Shall wait for your trip report.
Am happy to know that you are doing all 3 parks.
Thanks kja for all the advice throughout this thread.

Have finalized my dates, which would be 14th April to 15th May 2017.
Have booked a lake facing resort at Grundlsee, Austria.15th 50 22nd April 17. (Has always been a dream to own a small cottage in Salzkamargut. This will be living it for a week)

Planning to fly to Zagreb- rent a car- Drive to Austria (7days)
then to Slovenia and then to Croatia.
Finally dropping the car at Dubrovnik, which as suggested above, is turning out to be most hassle free and inexpensive. Shall fly out from Dubrovnik.

From what I have studied till now, I would skip Hvar and opt for Krocula. that's my type.
Shall skip Una for lac of time.
Shall add a day in Zadar and Plitvice.
Am not really keen on Split.
Am finalizing my itinerary.
Shall come back again with more details and questions.

Thanks everyone again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -