CROATIA, SLOVENIA 16 days itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello dear Fodorites, I am happy to be back to Forum. have forgotten my password for "paragkash".
You guys have helped me plan so many trips earlier. have got very good tips for Croatia, Slovenia too. Have almost frozen my itinerary based on that.
Am planning a Road trip in Croatia, Slovenia, Austria.
Dates 15th April to 7th May 2017. We fly into and out of Zagreb.
We are 50 years old architect couple with my 2 daughters 20 and 22 years old and my niece 23 years old; from Mumbai India.
We love Architecture, Old civilizations, Charming towns, quaint villages, scenic landscapes, geological wonders.
Have booked "Opel Astra Stationwagon" for 20 days for about 200 Euros. This includes CDW but doesn't include Zero Excess/ Excess full refund. (if I take that it will be another 150 Euros)
My Itinerary is as follows.
15th April - Turkish Air flight Mum- Zagreb 6.30 to 19.15 - Check in at Airport hotel
16th April- Pick up a car and drive to Grundlsee,Salzkammergut, Austria. Beautiful Timeshare lake facing resort.- 6 nights upto 22nd April 17.

22nd April -Drive to Lake Bled- Check in. 1 Night
23rd -24th April- Drive through Julian Alps, Lake Bohinj to Ljubljana. 2 N
25th April- Drive through Piran Overnight Rovinj
26th 27th April- Drive through Istria. Overnight Plitvice Jazeera- 2 N 27th Full day Plitvice national park.
28th April- Drive to Sibenik- Krka waterfalls
29th 30th April 1st may- Drive to Dubrovnik ( 3 Nights) Dubrovnik sightseeing
2nd May- Drive to Korcula- 1 N
3rd 4th May - Drive to Zadar and around- 2 N
5th 6th May - Drive to Zagreb- Zagreb sightseeing
7th May - Drive to Zagreb Airport. Drop the car and board the flight back home.

Need help on Slovenia Croatia itinerary. Especially after Rovinj; I need to cover approx 650 km to Dubrovnik and 650 km back to Zagreb. Would like to distribute the driving hours in such a way where I see a few places on my way back and my drive would be on an average 3 to 4 hours between any 2 destinations.
I like Korcula to Hvar
Zadar and Sibenik to Split
Would love to see Plitvice full day and Krka too. Would skip Una for lack of time and to avoid Deja Vu feeling.
Please help.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 12:29 PM

You can read my past trip reports (plus lots of photos) by clicking on my name.

Driving from Bled back to Ljubljana, be sure to detour through the mountains through Kropa and Jamnik (not the highway through Kranj) to the town of Skofja Loka if you have time; the drive from Bled to Skofja Loka is very scenic and beautiful, and Skofja Loka itself is worth a stop if you have time.

Keep in mind the islands off the Dalmatian coast are not going to be busy in May - their season is just beginning at that point. You might see only Korcula or Hvar, not both.

You could drive from Istria all the way down to Dubrovnik, with all of your stops in Croatia, and then drive back to Zagreb inland via Bosnia and Herzegovina. That way, you wouldn't be backtracking over the same roads on the way back.

The roads in Bosnia are not bad - not as good as the roads in Croatia but much better than their reputation. I had no trouble driving from Montenegro to Trebinje, Mostar, Sarajevo, Jajce, and Bihac in May 2015.

You might not have a lot of time to stop driving through Bosnia, but you could obviously stop in Sarajevo and Mostar. I spent single nights in Trebinje and Jajace as well as a few in Sarajevo in 2015 (I had visited Mostar on a previous trip) Trebinje has a beautiful old stone bridge. Jajce is a nice town with a beautiful waterfall below the town. On my trip a few years ago, I visited Jajce as well as Una, Plitvice, and Skradinski Buk (specific name of the "Krka Waterfalls" that most people see, though there is more to Krka than just those waterfalls). I thought they were all unique falls, especially Jajce's right below the town, so I didn't feel "deja vu" seeing yet another waterfalls. Plitvice doesn't have many big waterfalls.

Sibenik and Skradinski Buk can both be seen easily in a day, unless you want to see the rest of Krka (I saw only Skradinki Buk). I started in Zadar, stopped at Skradin, took the boat to Skradinski Buk and back, stopped in Sibenik for a few hours, then stopped for the night in Trogir. (I had been to Split before.)

Otherwise, you can plot your intended stops on a Google map to get driving time estimates - Google's estimates are reasonably accurate - and try to plot your stops that way. Dig up the ferry schedules and you should be on your way.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 02:57 PM
kja

You are not giving yourselves much time to recover from jet lag before picking up your rental car. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and <b>nothing</b> you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter what your prior experience.

I believe I have already urged you to consider going without a car whenever possible, and with this current itinerary, that would mean from Sibenik on. The driver will be unable to safely appreciate the magnificent scenery, and the buses are easy, convenient, and comfortable.

I would disagree with the idea that “Sibenik and Skradinski Buk can both be seen easily in a day” – Sibenik actually has quite a lot to offer. But you can get a glimpse of each in a day.

IMO, this plan will let you see a lot of bits of various places, but not much of any of them. And the driver will be exhausted by the end!

That said, you should see some memorable things and I hope you hae a nice trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 02:59 PM
kja

BTW, I hadn't realized you were architects. The area has quite a few architectural gems, including a number that are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. I'm not sure that you will have much time to appreciate them....
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 05:33 PM

22 April BLED

23 April LJUBLJANA

24 April LJUBLJANA

25 April ROVINJ

26 April ZADAR Drive 4h30 Rovinj to Zadar

27 April SPLIT Drive 2h40 Split to Krka to Split.

28 April SPLIT Day trip Passenger only Ferry RT Split to Hvar.

29 April KORCULA Drive 1h40 Split to Ploce /11am Ferry Ploce to Trpanj (59min crossing)/ Drive 0h25 to Orebic/ 1pm Ferry Orebic to Domince (Korcula Island) (15 min crossing)/ Drive 0h15 arriving Korcula town approx 1:45pm

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Plo%...42.9614071!3e0

30 April DUBROVNIK Ferry Domince to Orebic on Peljesac Peninsula. Drive 2h30 Orebic to Ston to Dubrovnik . Ferry leaves at 9:40,11:10, 12:40,14:10, and 15:10 (15min crossing)

1 May DUBROVNIK

2 May DUBROVNIK

3 May MOSTAR Drive 3h03 Dubrovnik to Mostar.

4 May PLITVICE Drive 4h45 Mostar to Plitvice. Hotel inside the NP.

5 May ZAGREB Tour Plitvice(6 hrs). Drive 2h41 Plitvica to Zagreb. Return car.

6 May ZAGREB

7 May-Fly Home.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Andrew, thanks a lot for your suggestions. Will research on Julian Alps and area between bled and Ljubljana.
Will look at the option of driving back through Bosnia, Herzegovina.
Do not know if my multiple entry Schengen visa is valid there.
I also don't know if these places are safe and peaceful for tourists.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Kja thanks for the suggestions. i am looking up to you for them.
As suggested by you, I am reaching Zagreb by 19.15 hours. Am staying the night near Zagreb airport. Shall rent a car from the next day early morning. In any case, with coming from India with about 9 hours of flying time and 16 hours journey with the stopover; won't have a jet lag problem. We gain time while flying westwards.

Driving is convenient, cheaper and faster. 5 people and their bags travelling by buses is slow and tiring. We take frequent breaks at scenic places.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

dugi_otok, thanks for suggestions.
1. using that route means using the ferry for the car twice.
2. Is driving through Mostar safe.
3. are 2 days/nights enough for Dubrovnik
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:43 AM

I found driving through Bosnia (alone for almost a week) very safe. Mostar is touristy. My Sarajevo tour guide (a Muslim) said a bit ruefully that to him, Mostar felt like part of Croatia.

I was nervous driving into Bosnia the first time too, but it was nothing.

But if you have worries about visas, then know that when you drive from Split to Dubrovnik on land, you MUST drive through a small section of Bosnia - the "Neum Corridor" on the drive down. (Bosnia has a tiny section of Dalmatian coast. Check a map.) So you exit Croatia and re-enter not many km later - two border crossings. You can avoid this crossing by taking ferries.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Of course, another way to avoid a border crossing is simply to drop the rental car in Dubrovnik and fly back to Zagreb. I understand this is an expensive proposition for a group of your size, but it would avoid a long drive back to Dubrovnik, perhaps made longer by ferry detours you already took on the way down. Croatia Airlines does offer reasonably-priced flights within Croatia - you might at least look into it.

Or figure out if you will have visa issues with the border crossings into/out of Bosnia. Maybe not, then you have nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Andrew, thanks.Checked the visa requirements.

Nationals of countries for which a visa is required may enter Bosnia and Herzegovina without a visa for a stay of up to 15 days provided that they hold a valid multiple entry Schengen or EU state visa.

So I should be ok with that.
Is Sarajevo and Mostar Safe? Can anyone reply.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Good to hear the visas will not be an issue for you.

I felt perfectly safe in Sarajevo and Mostar - as safe as anywhere else in Europe I have visited. What gives you the impression that they are not safe?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:41 AM

>>1. using that route means using the ferry for the car twice.<<
I assume you are referencing the route Split to Korcula. This is the preferred route in April/May traveling south. There are two short ferry crossings, one 1 hr and another 15 min.If you want to visit Korcula after Dubrovnik your itinerary could be this:
29 April DUBROVNIK. Drive 3h40 Split to Dubrovnik.

30 April DUBROVNIK

1 May DUBROVNIK. Drive 2h30 Dubrovnik to

2 May KORCULA.Drive 2h30 Orebic
to Ston to Dubrovnik . Ferry Orebic to Domince (Korcula Island) 15 min crossing.Drive 0h15 to Korcula town.

3 May MOSTAR Drive 15 min Korcula Town to Domince.Ferry Domince to Orebic.Drive 20 min Orebic to Trpanj. Ferry Trpanj to Ploce(1 hr crossing).Drive 1hr30 Ploce to Mostar.

4 May PLITVICE Drive 4h45 Mostar to Plitvice.Drive via Croatia. Hotel inside the NP.

5 May ZAGREB Tour Plitvice(6 hrs). Drive 2h41 Plitvica to Zagreb. Return car.

6 May ZAGREB

7 May-Fly Home.

>>2. Is driving through Mostar safe.<<
This is not an issue. Drive Mostar to Croatia motorway to Plitvice for fastest route.

>>3. are 2 days/nights enough for Dubrovnik?<<

You selected 3 nights in Dubrovnik. My suggestion is also 3 nights.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:30 PM
kja

Of course Mostar and Sarajevo are safe – I’m sure you realize that none of us would recommend visiting them if not. The Balkans War ended many years ago. But you don't have time to visit them -- while Mostar can be seen in just a day, Sarajevo takes several days just for the highlights.

IMO, 1.5 days is enough for Dubrovnik. Spending 3 nights there can be delightful for those who want to travel at a leisurely pace. I think it odd that you should give it so much time when your are giving so very little time to just about every other destination you have chosen.

Note that you are asking for, and getting, much of the same advice and information we already provided on your earlier threads....
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

dugi_otok, thanks for that info on route in and out of Korcula. Will save some time for me.

Andrew, Thanks for suggestions. Will try and rope in Mostar if not Sarajevo

Kja, Shall prefer 3 nights in Dubrovnik. May be half a day drive to Kotor in Montenegro. Please suggest.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM

I visited Kotor as an overnight. That is an option for you too, but a day trip from Dubrovnik should work just fine. I didn't find the city of Kotor that special, but the scenery around the Bay of Kotor is fantastic. The walk up the "walls" above Kotor is very worth doing, though, even if a steep hike way above the town (unlike Dubrovnik's walls which are just like you would imagine - just walls). The view down on the bay is amazing. I also drove the scenic mountain drive from Kotor to Cetinje (via Njeguši) a drive with narrow twisty roads but incredible views down. But it might be too much to add this drive into a day trip to Kotor - up to you. Having the night in Kotor made it easier for me to do it all.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 03:45 PM
kja

If you want to visit Kotor as a day trip, no reason not to do so.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Kja,
I agree with you for KOTOR.
My reason for that is a scenic drive (Though it will be quite similar to Croatia) and also a lame reason of adding one more country Montenegro of the list of of countries I have visited.

I can drop this idea as you rightly said, it will be quite hectic.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 08:54 AM

>>Need help on Slovenia Croatia itinerary. Especially after Rovinj; I need to cover approx 650 km to Dubrovnik and 650 km back to Zagreb. Would like to distribute the driving hours in such a way where I see a few places on my way back and my drive would be on an average 3 to 4 hours between any 2 destinations.
I like Korcula to Hvar
Zadar and Sibenik to Split
Would love to see Plitvice full day and Krka too.
Please help. <<

Let me test Understanding of your current thinking.

You like Korcula to Hvar. What does that mean? Do you want to visit Hvar as part of your itinerary? Do you want to go from Korcula to Hvar?

Zadar and Sibenik to Split. What does that mean? Do you want to visit Split as part of your itinerary? Do you want to go from Sibenik to Split?

Do you want to include Mostar as part of your itinerary?

Do you want to include Kotor as part of your itinerary?

Your current itinerary does NOT show any of this? It seems that you have doubled your effort after losing sight of your objective. A reset would be helpful to us so that we can provide further help on your itinerary.

>> 22nd April -Drive to Lake Bled- Check in. 1 Night
23rd -24th April- Drive through Julian Alps, Lake Bohinj to Ljubljana. 2 N
25th April- Drive through Piran Overnight Rovinj
26th 27th April- Drive through Istria. Overnight Plitvice Jazeera- 2 N 27th Full day Plitvice national park.
28th April- Drive to Sibenik- Krka waterfalls
29th 30th April 1st may- Drive to Dubrovnik ( 3 Nights) Dubrovnik sightseeing
2nd May- Drive to Korcula- 1 N
3rd 4th May - Drive to Zadar and around- 2 N
5th 6th May - Drive to Zagreb- Zagreb sightseeing
7th May - Drive to Zagreb Airport. Drop the car and board the flight back home.<<
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Montenegro is lovely - it is very worth visiting even if for a brief time. I hope to visit again. You can't see everything in the brief time you have, so you have to cut some thing out. I'd put Kotor on your list as a day trip, and if you don't have time or are enjoying other things instead, skip Kotor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -