Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croatia, pros and cons? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-pros-and-cons-715114/)

Dottee Jun 21st, 2007 06:39 PM

Croatia, pros and cons?

My traveling buddy just emailed me about possibly wanting to go to Croatia. Frankly, I've never even considered this country since there are many others that we have not yet visited. I've read some of the Croatia posts but was really looking for an overall picture. What would be the best reason to consider a trip there? Friendly? Expensive? Safe? Clean? All advice appreciated.:)

Lawchick Jun 22nd, 2007 01:10 AM

What would be the best reason to consider a trip there? As the recent advertisements say...experience the meditteranean as it once was

Friendly? Very

Expensive? Average

Safe? Very

Clean? Very

Padraig Jun 22nd, 2007 02:05 AM

I disagree marginally with Lawchick: I think Croatia is a little less expensive than average for developed tourism destinations.

The coastal scenery is magnificent. I can't comment on the interior, as I have not been there.

There are wonderfully interesting cities and towns, with a great built heritage.

The sea is remarkably clean.

Croatian wines are interesting, and some are good.

tripgirl Jun 22nd, 2007 03:15 AM

It's a lovely part of the world and very reasonably priced. Once they officially go on the euro I expect prices will probably go up, so its still a good time to go.

If you love breathtaking scenery, it's a place for you. It's easy to get around by car.

There are so many posts and trip reports here about Croatia; read even further, some are quite detailed including my own.

Perhaps making a list of where you both would want to go listed in priority would also help you to make a decision.

In any event, Croatia is a lovely part of the world.

Dottee Jun 22nd, 2007 05:06 AM

Thank you all. Very helpful advice. I had friends that visited Bosnia (think recent war zone, land mines, etc.) and for some reason I had the two countries confused.

Also we had discussed visiting Germany, Vienna and Prague, places where neither of us has been, and suddenly she brought up Croatia. I guess subconsciously I was looking for good arguments to give her against going there. But the more I research, the more positive things I find.

travel2live Jun 22nd, 2007 06:09 AM

We could find no drawbacks to this wonderful country. It far exceeded our expectations and ours were very high.

Friendly - extremely
Safe - we felt safe at all times
Clean - cleaner than many other countries
Expensive - you can get a lot for your money if you take the time to research.

Dukey Jun 22nd, 2007 06:30 AM

Does anyone here know why there is no "Croatia" section on this very website in the "Destinations" portion?

Or am I missing something?

MarthaT Jun 22nd, 2007 06:47 AM

Beautiful country, very friendly people, most people speak some english especially the younger ones. Great fresh seafood .
Only con is that is was not to easy to get to. (Lots of plane changes).
Clean, yes. Safe, yes. I thought the prices were reasonable in 2004.

Lolo12 Jun 22nd, 2007 06:55 AM

I spent nearly 3 weeks in Croatia last September and was thoroughly captivated. Dubrovnik was filled with history and beauty as were the smaller towns along the coast. We took day trips into Montenegro and Bosnia which were very interesting. Considering the food, wine, beauty, friendliness, value and culture, I can think of no reason not to go. They are eager to promote tourism and soon Croatia will be on everyone's go-to list. We ended the trip with a few days in Slovenia, another interesting country. The Dalmatian coast is becoming more popular as word spreads.

tower Jun 22nd, 2007 06:56 AM

Dottee:

I have auto-travelled Yugoslavia several times since the early 80's...when the country divided officially I found both Croatia and Slovenia to be well-advanced from the other segments. I agrree with all of the good stuff said in above posts, with a few more exclamation points.

Yes, the costs can be below average of the more visited countries of Europe. Consider driving..in that way you can be more independent and enjoy the outstanding attributes of deligthful Croatia.

You wil be enchanted from the moment you arrive! I can recommend mid-scale lodgings and dining if you wish.

Stu T.

Dottee Jun 23rd, 2007 01:53 PM

Thank you again everyone. Stu, I very much appreciate your offer. At this time we haven't made a final decision on a country, but certainly if we decide on Croatia, I will be looking you up!:)

viking Jun 23rd, 2007 03:25 PM

I just made titanic sacrifices to visit Croatia, after falling for one of the half hour TV travel programs on it. I was quite dissapointed with the fashionable parts such as Hvar island, Korcula island, and Dubrovnik. The physical beauty was overrated, the architecture was kinda crude, and the food generally sloppy mass market.

But for the parts folks love to disparage, I like a little better. If you make a train connection in Zagreb, prepare to stay overnight because you will miss your connection due to the worlds most baffling track numbering system. It's a clean, quirky little city with surprising charm. The palace in Split is overwhelming. Folks with limited imagination run it down due to post Roman modifications and trinket shops, but see past that (and definiately take the basement tour and aboveground museums) and it is stunning. Especially before the tourists and shops get started, I almost get more of a feel of Roman extravagance than at the Roman colleseum.

lucielou Jul 12th, 2007 05:18 AM

We loved Croatia, and plan to return in the near future.

Friendly - Yes
Expensive - We didnt think so ,it cheaper than Ireland, ( but then again everywhere is)!!
Safe - very
Scenery - very beautiful.

Sea food is gorgeous and varied, we didnt find the wine to be great, we just loved everything about it, and its so easy to visit the Islands.

The Croatian people are so lovely, proud yet gentle and kind, they are a credit to themselves for the way the got the country back on its feet after the war.

bobthenavigator Jul 12th, 2007 05:50 AM

Here is an overall piture:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3882