Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croatia or Poland? Help me decide! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-or-poland-help-me-decide-788421/)

samtraveler Jun 5th, 2009 03:18 PM

Croatia or Poland? Help me decide!

My husband and I are planning a short break this September (from London). It is a rare opportunity to travel for three days and four nights without the children. At the moment our top choices are Dubrovnik, Croatia and Krakow, Poland. We are seriously split between the two and would love advice on this from those who have been. One thing I wonder about is which destination would have enough appeal and places to explore that will fill three full days. We're not necessarily looking for a heavy sightseeing kind of trip, more wandering, exploring, dining, photography and just getting a feel for a place. We might visit the top sight or two, but that is not our focus. Also we probably would want to visit Auschwitz-Birkenau in conjunction with Krakow, so that would leave two full days there, whereas with Dubrovnik we'd likely spend the entire three days there. Thanks for any advice!

Maggie68 Jun 5th, 2009 03:54 PM

We loved Dubrovnik. Walking the ancient walled city was spectacular. You will also note evidence of the recent civil war. The old city will take a day. You might add an island visit via ferry. Just plan your touring when the cruise ships have left.

frenchwow Jun 5th, 2009 03:54 PM

WE loved Poland especially Krakow (hotel Raddison SAS).
Went to Croatia 2008-liked Split much more than Dubrovnik.
Still liked Poland over Croatia. I'd pick Krakow for sure.

samtraveler Jun 7th, 2009 06:08 AM

Is three days too much for Dubrovnik?

iris1745 Jun 7th, 2009 06:32 AM

Hi; Three days is not to much time for either city. You would find many places to go on 'day trips'. Visit this web site for good information with 'downloads' of Dubrovnik and Krakow. www.inyourpocket.com/ Dick

qwovadis Jun 7th, 2009 06:44 AM

Dubrovnik for natural beauty and the islands for me...

Weather will be nicer warmer...

Krakow is nice more of a historic city feel...

samtraveler Jun 7th, 2009 06:59 AM

Slightly leaning towards Dubrovnik at the moment. What are the islands to consider and how long does it take to get there? Thanks for all the great ideas!

thursdaysd Jun 7th, 2009 07:03 AM

Both are worthwhile destinations, but they are very different. I've been back to Krakow, but don't feel a need to go back to Dubrovnik, but I'm not a beach person.

Dubrovnik itself takes one day at the absolute most, aside from lounging around and beach time. You could do a day trip to Montenegro, and another by boat to one of the islands.

Krakow has quite a lot to see - a castle, several churches, a Jewish quarter, a stunning central square. Besides Auschwitz, which takes one somber day, there's also a salt mine you can visit.

Both places have been discovered - Krakow was much more crowded on my second visit. If you go to Dubrovnik, try to time it so there are no cruise ships in port.

GSteed Jun 11th, 2009 02:56 AM

Either choice will satisfy you. I suggest Poland. Instead of Krakow try Zakopane or the Mazurian Lakes. A lifetime will not suffice to learn or travel Poland. Instead of Krakow find a small village or town. Settle in and explore it and the neighborhood.