Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Croatia or Italy - Which do you recommend for first timers

Croatia or Italy - Which do you recommend for first timers

Feb 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Croatia or Italy - Which do you recommend for first timers

We're trying to decide whether to go to Croatia or Italy and we're leaving on April 26th. It would be for about 10 days of our 19 day trip. This would be our first trip to either of those countries, although I've travelled to other countries in Europe. Afterwards we will be going to eastern Slovenia.

We had originally planned to go to Rome, Siena, Florence, Venice & then head to Slovenia, but after hearing such great things about Croatia we're tempted to change our plans.

Looking forward to your recommendations and what we should take into consideration.

CJ

Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:55 AM

Ouch! Tough decision. Too tough. In five years, Italy will be about the same. Croatia probably will not. But how can you skip Italy?

If you want to see a good bit of Croatia, it will take some time because of the travel issues there...ferries, etc.

If I had never been to either of these countries, given their proximity to each other, I would find a way to do a little of both, even though that is sometimes considered heretical on this website.

Perhaps do your Rome to Venice thing, and allocate a couple days at the end of that to ferry from Venice to Istria, (Rovinj is incredible) get a taste of Croatia, and end up very near Slovenia, your next stop. The ferry leaves at the end of the day from the Dorsoduro area, which is a short walk from Accademia bridge.

Dalmatia is more spectacular, but the logistics of travel there would probably require you to bag Italy completely. But starting in Dubrovnik and working your way up toward Slovenia would also be an incredible trip and allow you spend a few nights on one of the islands, maybe Hvar or Korcula.

Good luck deciding.

Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:06 AM

Admittedly I've not been to Croatia but I get the impression that it's more of a summer holiday destination. I know it has some historic sights, but Italy (where I've been lots of times) has much more to see & do if the weather is not good.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM

If budget is a major consideration I would go w/Croatia which is still "unspoiled"; ergo very affordable.

Beaux' suggestion of going North from there is a good one altho I
don't know if the ferries run as early
as April.

You might phone the NYC tourist office @ 800-829-4416 & speak w/Nena Komarica, GM who I found to
be very helpful.
their web site: www.htz.hr

Search this Thread